well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    In today's mail

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In today's mail
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We got an invitation to participate in a survey conducted by this group:

https://www.norc.org/Pages/default.aspx

snips from the letter they sent:

quote:
Dear [name of my town] Community Member,

We need your help....

A world-renowned research institute, NORC at the University of Chicago, is adminstering the 2020 Election Research Project (ERP Survey). When you participate in the ERP Survey, your opinions and experiences will help researchers at New York University, The University of Texas at Austin, and other academic institutions, in partnership with Facebook, to understand more about public opinion in the upcoming election.

They enclosed a dollar bill and if you choose to participate you're paid $10 for each survey, four in total.

I was all set to participate until I saw that Facebook is part of the study. Why is it that anything with FB's name on it makes me suspicious?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The last time I did one of those surveys, I think I ended up getting like $50 all told, it was a Nielson (Nielsen?) one, no FB.

I agree, FB is pretty suspect these days.
she typed, 30 seconds before clicking over to her Facebook page...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I don't f b. I don't twit, either. I despair of the fact that these private, unregulatred, unaccountable, and proven pretty damn sketchy (Cambridge Analytica) platforms have become the assumed standard for communication.

I wasn't too thrilled when MS Word's native format gradually became an accepted standard for document interchange -- RTF and PDF were slightly less privately-controlled.

Fume, fume, fume.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post