well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    SCOTUS and Alabama gerrymandering case

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS and Alabama gerrymandering case
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
I mean seriously, WTF

As I understand it, Alabama had a seriously biased voter map in use in 2020. The map was successfully challenged and the AL state court said it couldn't be used. Then SCOTUS stepped in using one of those shady secret docket vote things, and put an injunction on the AL state court decision (if that's the right term) - meaning that AL could go ahead and use their gerrymandered map in the 2020 elections.

This decision most likely led to AL remaining GOP, and may well have meant other states who were considering similar lawsuits against gerrymandering maps decided not to do so. So there's a lot of speculation that this wonky secret docket vote to uphold AL's original map may well have resulted in the GOP flipping the house.

Fast forward, yesterday SCOTUS said, essentially, "oops, our bad, turns out that map really shouldn't have been used." I mean that's great news in the big picture but what did they learn in 2023 that they didn't know in 2020?

This court is nuts.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Rethuglicans broke the government, and it seems more obvious with each new story that they've broken the high court too...

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7565 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Skeptical

Posts: 24837 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post