well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    File under "language are funny"
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

File under "language are funny"
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
My Brit room-mate never got over her enchantment at hearing me use the word "shag" (as in Shetland pony to USians) even though we both were long aware of its very different usage in our respective homelands.

She'd ask me repeatedly to utter the to-her tabu word, doubling over in merriment. Tears would sometimes come to her eyes as I'd find ever-new contexts for the word which must have struck her as hilariously vulgar.

It's quite an interesting phenomenon come to think of it, that it had that effect on her despite our (almost) sharing a common native language.
You don't call a fanny pack a "fanny pack" in Britain. It's a "bum bag". "Fanny" is slang for female genitalia.

And Brits don't understand us Americans "rooting" for a team. "Rooting" is a synonym of "shagging".

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post