well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help with W4?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with W4?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Does anyone here have deep expertise in the mechanics of US federal income tax withholding?

Mrs pj works full time. I am now working part time, variable hours. They are withholding as if I'm the only one working, even though I checked the box that we both work, but as far as I can tell, there's no simple way to tell them either (A) how much we expect to make total for the year, or (B) just withhold 22% and we'll be fine.

The calculator on the IRS web site is crap and does not give the options I need (I started a month ago and will be working through the end of the year).

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Estimate your earning, then estimate your tax bill. Set the amount per pay period accordingly.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Since they changed the system a few years ago, I find making qualitative adjustments to W-4 just not worth the effort.

Much easier to just logon to the IRS once a quarter and make an estimated tax payment for however much extra you need to pay.

If you used tax software to file your taxes last year,an easy way to bake an estimate for this year to just take a copy last year’s return file, and plug in your estimated income numbers into TurboTax or taxcut or whatever you used.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post