well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Do you have a chef's knife that you love?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a chef's knife that you love?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
I need to get a decent one.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My friend the traveling sous chef swears by Kiwi knives from Thailand. They hold up well as his much more expensive knives and they’re dirt cheap.

Amazon.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu...nife-for-most-cooks/

We’ve been really happy with our Wüsthof’s. Steve is meticulous about keeping them sharpened - that’s half of it.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20461 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
America's Test Kitchen likes the Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8-inch Chef's Knife for a lower priced knife. Spruce Eats recommends it, too.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...knife-review-4795734

I have the Victorinox paring knife (also an ATK recommendation), and it's pretty nice. But I'm not terribly fussy about knives.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The Kiwis are super-sharp and very cheap, and unless I am mistaken the Victorinox Fibrox was recommended by Wirecutter in the past (or maybe it was ATK, I just recall seeing it from a reputable source).

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Japanese.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu...nife-for-most-cooks/

We’ve been really happy with our Wüsthof’s. Steve is meticulous about keeping them sharpened - that’s half of it.

I love my Wüsthof’s as well.

ETA: we went to a restaurant supply store to buy ours. They let us try every knife in the store and gave me stuff to chop. It was also way cheaper than other retail options for the exact same products.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have an expensive Henkel I think, and several much less expensive from OXO, Sharper Image, etc. to tell the truth they all keep a good edge and work about the same.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I use a carbon steel chef's knife instead of a stainless steel one. It is super easy to sharpen razor sharp with a ceramic rod. I've had it for over 45 years. It's the favorite knife in our household.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We have 3 Wüsthofs that my son in law gifted us. They work fine and I keep them sharp on a steel. A couple of older ones (don’t recall brand) were retired to a drawer when the new ones arrived. I am not a knife expert, but I do a lot of cooking. Balance and how they feel to you seem important.

One thing I have learned through experience: there are certain chef’s knives that can come to rest on your board with the sharp side UP…for example if you toss it down casually. Always lay your knife down on its side.

Nobody seems to mention that.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I've also really liked Enowo knives. Very sharp. Very cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I am not a purist - I use a Henkel roller sharpener and it works just fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Zwillin...rpener/dp/B00008WURJ

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm annoyed by a few of the knives MrsTuner likes because when gripping the handle my finger can hit the cutting board.

Balance and how well it fits your hand... and keep them sharp!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We tend to baby our knives, but if you want to just toss it in the dishwasher, go with a cheaper option and just keep it sharp.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post