well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Self tuning piano?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self tuning piano?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Don Gilmore has been working on this idea for a looooong time! It looks like he is getting closer to getting it into production. Replicates any tuning that is saved (Grand Obsession??) by gently heating each wire to lower pitch to the saved value.

https://forum.pianoworld.com/u...opics/3354135/1.html

Very interesting!

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
The inventor says (in his YouTube video) that after they go into mass production the system would cost $900 (not sure about installation, it looks labor intensive to install and may even need some calibration right after installation). Assuming the whole thing works and can be had for under $2000 (including installation & calibration), then yeah, I think I want it. That’s like 6~8 tunings, the thing will pay for itself in four years and I get good tunings and temperaments of choice year round. Now what if something breaks, maybe a sensor or a heating element goes kaput … not sure how reliable the product will be and how that translates into maintenance costs. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now what if something breaks

What if something breaks after the machine has put all the regular piano tuners out of business?

Ok, maybe I'll go read the article now watch the video now...
Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18563 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure how it works from the tuner's perspective, but it sounds first the piano is tuned - then saved by the system.

Then every ???? years when the pitch drops below any of the saved notes, a tech comes back and pulls up the pitch way over 440. He mentions 30 cents?!? Then the system can heat and adjust to the saved settings.

If a player wanted multiple tunings, they'd probably need to be tuned and saved individually.

I'd actually like to install this on many of the churches where I tune - the indoor temps and humidity swing so much that it is impossible to keep them in tune for very long!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Ron, not exactly related to “self-tuning” but I am curious about this …

Is there a "labor shortage" in the piano tech trade?

The airlines say they are not getting enough pilots, the schools say they are not getting enough teachers, the hospitals say they are not getting enough nurses. Just wondering if there is also a shortage of labor in the piano tech trade. What do you see in the business?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping busy. (Chicago and near suburbs)

We lost some local techs during the pandemic - some died, some retired, some moved. I'm getting lots of new clients, even though I'm trying to be in semi-retired mode.

There are likely areas without any techs, and other areas with too many to support full-time work.

I would hope that the Piano Technicians Guild is trying to keep track of the market in the US.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com