well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The batteries that could make fossil fuels obsolete

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The batteries that could make fossil fuels obsolete
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
The most exciting news I've heard in some time. I had no idea battery technology had progressed this far.

quote:
The twin smokestacks of the Moss Landing Power Plant tower over Monterey Bay. Visible for miles along this picturesque stretch of the north Californian coast, the 500-foot-tall (150m) pillars crown what was once California's largest electric power station – a behemoth natural gas-fired generator. Today, as California steadily moves to decarbonise its economy, those stacks are idle and the plant is largely mothballed. Instead, the site is about to begin a new life as the world's largest battery, storing excess energy when solar panels and wind farms are producing electricity and feeding it back into the grid when they're not.

Really BIG batteries.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hopefully we are on the verge of producing pawer to run all the eVs and ePlanes without producing emissions.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
As much as I apprecaite the progress, that article rubs me the wrong way in that it keeps saying “X megawatts” as if that’s wnough to tell me the storage capacity of the batteries. “Megawatt” is a unit for power, a rate of energy output per unit time. It’s not a unit for energy, which is important to understand just how much energy the batteries can store. I want to see numbers in “megawatt-hours.” Mad

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post