well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bay Window Curtain Rod help

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bay Window Curtain Rod help
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
The new house has three bay windows. Two (the first two photos below) seem like it will be easy to add a bay window curtain rod, but not the third. This is the one that's in the living room, and the window itself is somehow set back so that the part where the end of the curtain rod will go is going to be blocked by that other wall that turns a corner right at the end of the window frame...

No problem:

No problem:

Living room sort of a problem:

Living room window photo 2

The kind curtain rod I'm thinking of using for two of those windows:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hart-Harlow/5013319919

(btw each of these windows are in different rooms, I'll actually have the same curtains/drapes, but I don't think it matters if the rods are not exactly the same.

Any advice about this?

TIA!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
These look like they have blinds? (Why do you need curtains?)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20469 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wondering the same thing...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37993 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmmm maybe we don’t need curtains in the living room…. I just sort of assumed I would want them. And I have my curtains (drapes?) from our old house, which I really like..

But about those blinds… I don’t know if you can tell but they are the inside the window pane type. I sort of dislike those in general, and these in particular are not great because they’re not white and I think they make it darker even when open.. so I’m planning on removing all the in-window blinds through out the house. Mr SK did some like that at my mom;s old house, and these looks similar, so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

The previous owner already removed the ones from the bay window in the dining room (and it looks so much nicer in that room bc you can put the blinds that are there all the way up). That room faces west, and that’s where the piano will be. So my plan is to have blinds there and curtains. I’ll do the same in the primary bedroom. But those are the rooms where the wall isn’t a problem.

Maybe in the living room (with the problem wall) I can just add blinds that I like and not have curtains there at all. That room faces east but there’s also an eave so it seems like one window treatment will be enough. I guess it could be blinds rather than curtains.

That would make it easier. The rooms that really need the double window treatment for heat control are the ones that don’t have a problem wall.

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
so I’m planning on removing all the in-window blinds through out the house. Mr SK did some like that at my mom;s old house, and these looks similar, so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

How did he do that without compromising the window seals?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37993 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The blinds are between two glass panes, and the pane on the indoor side has … I don’t know what they’re called, but they’re like little metal latches that can be moved. IOW, they’re set up so you can take that pane off and access the blinds. Which I guess means that the indoor-side pane isn’t sealed. I assume the outer pane is sealed though.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Brackets, I believe the word I want is brackets.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
This is relevant to me too. The bay window has always been problematic. Maybe tomorrow I will post a picture.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13824 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I looked at the windows again this morning, and did a bit of googling.

So it looks like these are probably spells windows, they were made with built in blinds and are not the double-paned windows that have argon gas between the panes. So there are two panes of glass but the inside pane has brackets or latches that can be removed. Google around it seems a fair amount of people remove them because even when the blinds are open, the decrease the light. And with this style you can’t raise the blinds (some built-ins allow that)

So yeah, we’ll be removing the built in blinds.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I looked around, too, and saw that Pella has a built-in blind that can be accessed by removing a storm window (the part that you described that has latches).

You learn something new every day. Until now I was only familiar with the built-in blinds made by a company called ODL that you see in a lot of exterior doors. You can't get to the blinds in those; the window and encased blinds are a single unit. But you can remove and replace the whole unit easily should there be a problem.

Funny, we only tilt the slats on the blinds and never pullthem up. We get too much light and glare if we do. Even light colored honeycomb shades are too bright for us. The Pellas would work perfectly!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Pellas would work perfectly for us!

You might like these then.

I might like them more if the blinds in these specific windows were white, but they’re silver/gray and I suspect that contributes to the sense that the blinds cause a decrease in light even when the slates are open.

Although I probably wouldn’t even like white ones. WhoMe The bay window in the dining room has had the blinds removed and comparing that to the front bedroom (which faces the same way) where the bay window still has the built-in blinds, I realized I really don’t like these built-in blinds at all Ole

Besides the light issue, I want to be able to raise the blinds all the way to the top, and also I like to peek out without opening all the slats.

Fortunately, these are made so it’s easy to access the inner part.

Now back to the question of whether we’ll add a curtain rod in the living room or not Big Grin

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Here is our bay window setup. Those are carpy dime store curtain rods and flimsy curtains, but want to upgrade.

SK, thanks for posting the link to those three-part curtain rods from Lowe’s! I didn’t know such things existed. Especially good that they are adjustable.

Our problem, which you can see, is that there’s very little space between the window molding and the ceiling. The other solution is a very long straight rod running from the overhang, with a curtain that covers the entire bay area.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13824 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
RP, I think there are curtain rod brackets that can be mounted on the ceiling.

Just an example:

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
RP, just fyi: I ended up ordering the bay window curtain rods from Amazon. Hopefully they'll be ok, I'll let you know.

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
RP, I think there are curtain rod brackets that can be mounted on the ceiling.

Thanks for this, wtg! I learn something new every day!