well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID odds and ends
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID odds and ends
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tragic.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/c...s-treatable-illness/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I lost it today. Full on, hair in fire, lost it. Eric, my protege, my friend, and the guy I am leaving my business to, is not vaccinated.

Nina, forgive me. As an employer I was completely out of line and I’m sure I need both counseling and a six week course on employer/employee relationships. I just lost it.

Let me say I’m still angry as I tell you this.

Am I bequeathing my company to some kind of dumbass? Have you ever read a damn newspaper? This giant loan I’m giving you, how the hell do you expect to pay it off when you’re dead? What about your new wife? Do you even give a ****?

(Dunno, just never got around to it)

Jesus. I’m gonna recommend you to my customers? Do you intend to kill them all? Are you afraid of a little needle? It’s free, for chrissake! You wanna die? ‘Rona don’t care, dude. What the hell!

Dumbshit! There’s a CVS on the corner. You’re still on the clock. Go there right now and get a shot. Call me when you get it done. Let me go with you (naw, no need for that)

I’ve gotten no call.

Dead mean pay off no loans. Time to reconsider.

Why is this so hard?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is this so hard?

Yep, this is the question I keep asking as well.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18528 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
if it weren't for the COVID crisis, the procedure for Wilkinson would have taken 30 minutes, and he'd have been back out the door.

Oh god. This is so, so awful..

Steve, if your guy wonders why you flew off the handle, this is part of the answer.

Posts: 18528 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Out of words on this matter

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Steve, can't say as I blame you. I might well have done the same thing.

And I don't understand why it's so hard, either. But for whatever reason, it seems that something tragic has to happen before people see the light.

Frowner

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry, Steve. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Steve, I assume that "leaving " your business to this guy constituted a substantial financial transaction , all aspects of which were put into a legal contract.

It's water over the dam, of course, but couldn't it be argued that you (and others in your situation) were within your rights to include a stipulation that the prospective new owner be vaccinated (and for that matter, remain up to date in vaccinations)?

It's complicated, of course, in that he could engage in other unhealthy behaviors (smoking, heavy drinking, overeating unhealthy foods) which go far beyond what could be argued are a matter of your self-interest.

However, the Covid vaccinations are unique compared to the others, in that not being vaccinated endangers others - including future customers and employees of the business in which you invested your life.

Furthermore, you have a reasonable pecuniary interest in the fulfillment of the terms of this large loan on which the transaction depends for satisfaction.

Again, this is a done deal I guess (unless you can persuade him), so I guess my question is as much or more a matter of what all such transactions can legally entail.

I. certainly am sorry you are faced with such a major worry at this transitional time in your life. You've earned the right to carry on with minimal business anxieties, least of all, one involving your hard-earned reputation.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it's possible to have some kind of insurance that names Steve as beneficiary if the guy dies before the business is fully transferred and paid for....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Shocker, I know.

quote:
South Dakota has seen a sharp increase in daily COVID-19 cases following the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Meade County this month. Hundreds of thousands of bikers descended upon the area August 6-15, despite the Delta variant wreaking havoc on the U.S.

On August 4, the date closest to the start of the rally for which data was available, the state reported 657 active cases. On August 25, the state reported 3,655 active cases. That's a 456% increase of active cases from before the start of the rally to two weeks after, according to the state's department of health.

As of August 24, about two weeks from the start of the event, South Dakota saw a weekly positivity rate of 38.8%. The week leading up to the rally — July 30 to August 6 — the state's weekly positivity rate was much lower, at 10.38%, the department of health data shows. The week before that, July 23-30, the positivity rate was just 6.10%.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/c...e-rally-450-percent/

Not sure you can draw a direct link to Sturgis. Ohio saw fairly similar increases during that time... 1500 new cases to 5600 new cases. Sturgis was no doubt a factor, but not necessarily the root cause.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Were there any events in Ohio during that time frame that could account for the increased case count there?

edit: And while Ohio's cases increased, on a per capita basis I'm thinking you're still way ahead of the game compared to South Dakota.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Running out of oxygen...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-AANWQZE?li=BBnb7Kz

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Running out of oxygen...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-AANWQZE?li=BBnb7Kz

Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
The city of Norman, Oklahoma, posted on social media that they will probably need to divert the liquid oxygen needed to purify the municipal drinking water to hospital use. (We live a few miles south of Norman, so this isn't our drinking water, but it does serve the university where I work. I have to assume similar conditions hold true for our water, but I haven't seen anything to confirm it.)

People in Norman were urged to observe water restrictions and were told that the treatment plant might need to switch to chlorine for purification.

Y'all, maybe it's the engineer in me, but it shakes me when our infrastructure is shown to be so close to the edge. It wouldn't take long for things to get really ugly if drinking water were suddenly unavailable.

Apropos of nothing, the residents of our solidly middle- to upper middle-class neighborhood are really, really proud of their guns, and they jump at any opportunity to brag about what they would do if some lawless reprobate tried to impinge on their rights.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Y'all, maybe it's the engineer in me, but it shakes me when our infrastructure is shown to be so close to the edge. It wouldn't take long for things to get really ugly if drinking water were suddenly unavailable.

You don't have to be an engineer to be terrified at what's happening....

I think very few people, or maybe the correct way to say it is, not enough people really grasp the many ways we will all be impacted by hospitals overflowing... I think it's completely "out of sight, out of mind" for so many people.

And those guns won't do them any good at dealing with a water supply problem... or after getting in a car accident and discovering they can't have their otherwise totally survivable injuries treated.