well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    GREAT news! Mushrooms replace styrofoam

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GREAT news! Mushrooms replace styrofoam
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
...and other plastics.

(I despise, despise, despise styrofoam)

Looking forward to getting shipped items - even appliances - cradled in this mycellium-based polymer.

It biodegrades zippy quick, takes next no energy to produce nor does it give off carbon, heat and water-resistant, and can be used for almost all the same purposes think insulation and building materials). I assume it will also avoid infusing the species with those omnipresent phthalates that turn out to be deforming our DNA generation upon generation, at risk of leading to human extinction.

Pleased to see even my favorites, oyster mushrooms, have a special utility. Glad to learn this discovery will even allow us to avoid consuming (in food) an appreciable amount of plastic daily. Also, remembering learning how much plastic enters our water from clothes washing, this is super dooper good news. So great to avoid all those petroleum-based products

HOORAY!!

PS You might want to skip ~ 7 - 8.5 mins of the video. It's an advertisement for the Science Innovation News production company that produced this and other such videos. Sorry, but it's bad enough not to be able to read a transcript. Our time and attention are precious.

Hope to replace the demon plastic

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They got the idea from Star Trek Discovery.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There is a pulped wood fiber material that is getting more popular as well. Kind of like what they make old timey egg cartons out of.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've also gotten the rice-based packing peanuts that dissolve if you put them in water or throw them in the composter. They look like styrofoam but just melt away after contact with water.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
How I wish I could post a photo of this novel packing material I recently received protecting a
rather ugly - but well intended - vase my best friend sent me from Macy's.

I won't keep the vase, but the artistically designed packing stuff is extraordinary. Numerous friends have pleaded for bags (naturally I agreed). Think it might lead me a successful entry to our Art Alliance's annual "Found Objects" show.

Made of a very thin but stiff cardboardy stuff formed into kind of geometric shapes about 1.75 cubic inch. Like squared off kaleidoscopes with perforations.

But this fungus based product can replace far more than just styrofoam (note, it's grown).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've received things that are packed in sort of a honeycomb-grill type paper packing thing. It looks like it may come off of a spool then you can sort of fluff it up inside the box to fill in any extra spaces. I thought it was cool.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post