well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The State of the City

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The State of the City
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I need to meet new people so I signed up to attend the "State of the City" address put on by the local Chamber of Commerce. Hizzonor the Mayor will be featured prominently and there will be a presentation on the new city budget. I've heard enough people griping on FB about how messed up the city government is and want to see how the sausage is made.

This could work. Local issues are far more likely to affect me than national ones, and if I decide to speak up I'll have a better chance of being heard.

Do you involve yourself in local issues?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34991 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Our village is generally pretty well run but there are some issues that are important to me.

Upcoming issue of interest is the Chicago Bears building a stadium in my town. Definitely our/my Next Big Thing.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Frequently. Although our county government is quite excellent, some municipalities have been taken over by the wacko wing of the GOP. I've been asked by the party to run for township trustee but I prefer to spend my volunteer time on two charities I started, and I think the incumbents are quite good.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13573 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I won’t run for anything but might sit on a committee.

Or I might just become the old guy who sits in the back at Planning Commission meetings and has an opinion everything Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34991 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I was on the Board of Zoning Appeals for a few years but ran afoul of a trustee who was using his position to further his development company and I stood up to him. The next election we put together candidates to take him out and stop him. He was totally pissed and his social media comments sunk him forever. now the land he wanted to develop is permanently a park. Big Grin

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13573 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post