well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Arthritic old dog
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arthritic old dog
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ll add that sleeping a lot may not be a bad thing for old arthritic dogs. I can think of worse.

Has there been any discussion on Rimadyl? I know nothing, really, but it has been prescribed for a couple of our dogs and I don’t remember any side effects.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34914 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think his arthritis is quite advanced and I'm not sure that a supplement like glucosamine/chondroitin would help. It's probably more helpful early on.

He was on Rimadyl (carprofen) when we got him in April 2021. He had ongoing tummy problems and we suspected the carprofen, which can have that side effect. Tummy probs cleared up when we took him off of it.

We had him on some Chinese herbs from our vet, a formula called Body Sore. They were about as effective as the carprofen and they agreed with him. Things were pretty good for quite a while.

Summer of 2022 we noticed the arthritis getting worse, so we added back the carprofen at a very low dose, a quarter of what he was getting when he came to us. We kept him on it for over a year. It helped some with the arthritis, but the gastric problems came back over time and just kept getting worse, even at the low dose. He would have periodic episodes of mucousy blood tinged stools and diarrhea. In between those bouts, his stools would have black blotches, indicative of bleeding in the stomach. Appetite got worse over time, which was no surprise given what we're pretty sure was going on in his digestive tract.

We took him off the carprofen in late August. Digestive issues resolved in a couple of weeks, but the arthritis got worse again. He had blood work done at that time and had a physical and everything looked great for a dog his age, except for the arthritis.

Decided to try the gabapentin again at a super low dose. He was on it for a month and I wouldn't have had a problem with the sedating effect, but his appetite took a nosedive and he was pretty much refusing to eat. He's a dog who normally wolfs his food down. Took him off gabapentin and the appetite bounced back. He just seems to be a dog with sensitive stomach. And from what the vet said, he isn't an outlier when it comes to these side effects. A lot of dogs don't do well on NSAIDs (and cats are even worse), which is why the monoclonal antibodies are getting so much attention.

Old age is a balancing act with all kinds of tradeoffs. You do the best you can.

On behalf of Raffi, thanks for all the suggestions! I'll keep you posted about what happens with the Librela.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don’t think gabapentin is an NSAID.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It’s not. I didn’t mean to lump it with NSAIDs. Badly constructed/placed sentence.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So it's been almost two weeks since Raffi got his first shot of Librela. He hasn't become a puppy again by any means, but he is definitely moving better. We're encouraged.

Meanwhile, we were watching Shark Tank tonight and saw this product pitched to the sharks. Non-slip booties for dogs with arthritis.

Walkee Paws Indoor Leggings.

https://www.insider.com/guides...-dog-leggings-review

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear Raffi is responding to the new treatment! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34914 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear Raffi is doing better!

Sarah is on Gabapentin, 4x daily for her nerve pain caused by her strokes, which she also just suffered a new one just before Xmas. She is fine with the new stroke mainly affecting her speech and right hand. She is progressively getting better and is now on some new meds and will be having a procedure in the next couple of months to close the hole in her heart.

I would love to sedate Cosmo during bath and grooming time. What is the recommended dose of gabapentin for a 20lb dog?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't know about dosing to sedate a dog. Probably best to check with your vet. Some general info:

https://www.petco.com/content/...pentin-for-dogs.html

Quirt mentioned that human gabapentin is cheaper than what you get from the vet; I'm assuming he was referring to the capsules.

There are liquid forms of gabapentin available for people, but some of them contain xylitol, a sugar substitute that's toxic for dogs. If you need to go the liquid route, your vet can compound the med into a liquid that's safe for the dog. One advantage of the liquid for us was that we could try a super low dose that we couldn't achieve even with the lowest dose capsule. The capsule is 100 mg, and I was able to dose him at 5 or 10 mg with the liquid.

Sorry to hear about Sarah's medical problems. Frowner Big hugs to you both.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Oh my, Mark. If there was an earlier thread about Sarah I missed it. Sounds like things are under control at this point but you have to be worried sick.

Sending our most positive thoughts to you both.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Raffi got his fourth shot of Librela a couple of days ago. Most dogs start to plateau around month 3, but Raffi seemed to continue to improve last month. There's no question he's responding well to it.

He can sit down (if a bit sloppily) though he still occasionally hops on one front leg that I suspect may have elbow dysplasia. But he moves and gets up better, and even when he's sleeping, it's a deep restful sleep. He used to get up and move around, shifting positions. I think he was pretty uncomfortable. Now it's a solid eight hours a night.

The vet is pretty thrilled and even went as far as talking about water therapy to help Raffi build up muscle. I'm certain Raffi would find that a non-starter, but it's remarkable that it would even be under consideration. We'll just try to walk around a little more, now that he's moving more easily.

From what Dr Chris said, his other patients on Librela are doing similarly well. It really does seem to be a breakthrough therapy.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Probably should start a different thread, but...

Mark, how are things going up your way?

Bazootiehead-in-training