well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Scallions (green onions)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scallions (green onions)
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
My first attempt at a poll.

Question:
How do scallions rate in your home cooking?

Choices:
Absolutely essential
Nice to have
Meh
I wouldn’t know what to do with them
Hate them

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
...Except, I don't "cook" scallions. they feature prominently in salads at chez pj. In fact, I just yanked two lovely three-year-old green onions from my front yard tub and invited them in for dinner.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
They are so fragile. They don’t last long in the fridge.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
They last years in the ground.

It helps to buy the ones that still have some roots on the bottoms.

You can stand them up in a glass with water covering the roots. I think if you do this, they’d be fine on the counter rather than in the fridge. Change the water every other day.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
These Green Onions have been around since 1962:
https://youtu.be/0oox9bJaGJ8

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I like them but really only use them in cooked dishes as I'm not a fan of raw onions of any kind. I tend not to have them on hand because they go south so quickly. I'll have to try pj's suggestion and put them in a glass of water. We do that with basil (on the counter) and parsley (in the frig). Really extends how long they last.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I like them cooked and raw, but I only buy them when I know I'm going to use them soon.

I planted perennial onions last fall, some of which make small bulbs and some of which are meant to be eaten as scallions. They did well, but my CSA bag brings me so many regular onions that I hardly ever need extra. Some times of the year, I get scallions as well.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I didn’t use them often until the last year or two, when I started doing more Asian dishes like stir fries and miso soup. And a nice mild onion flavor for potato salad and cooked grains.

So I always want to have some around.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you shop, I guess it's frustrating to have to buy a large bunch when you only need two or three.

I have that problem with cilantro. While I think of cilantro as just a green leafy vegetable with a bite, others don't see it that way. But my local store always has huge bunches and invariably half of it goes in the compost heap.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We use them all the time as we cook a lot of Jamie Oliver recipes and he uses them a lot.

For cilantro and parsley, I do the stems in water treatment. I put a plastic bag over top loosely and store them in the fridge. It lasts a good week this way!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Speaking of oniony things....how do y'all feel about chives? I absolutely love them....on potatoes and in scrambled eggs....

I have a couple of plants in my yard that I snip from when the weather is nice, and in the winter I use the freeze-dried variety that the Spice House sells. They taste almost like fresh.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I find that for cilantro and parsley, it helps to wrap the foliage in a paper towel before inserting into a plastic bag, then keep in fridge. The paper lessens the moisture that can lead to rotting.

I did try the roots-in-water for fresh basil, and left it on the counter with plastic bag over the bunch. Worked very well, and basil is tough because it wilts and turns brown easily.

I should try that with the scallions.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Speaking of oniony things....how do y'all feel about chives? I absolutely love them....on potatoes and in scrambled eggs....

I have a couple of plants in my yard that I snip from when the weather is nice, and in the winter I use the freeze-dried variety that the Spice House sells. They taste almost like fresh.
I have a HUGE pot of chives in the back yard. Sometimes I just pull up a handful and chop them up. They don't have a ton of flavor... just a mild garlic note.

If anyone wants garlic chive or onion seeds, let me know. I'm happy to send some along.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com