well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I recorded some piano videos

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I recorded some piano videos
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
I had a little recording session tonight. I intended to try to combine the better quality audio with the iPhone videos, but the audio-only recording had clipping Frowner so I just went with the iPhone videos. But I tried a new angle, so that was fun. Take a look/listen if you have a minute Smiler

Energy Flow, by Ryuichi Sakamoto

Ascent, by Ludovico Einaudi

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Very soothing. I liked them both, but like Energy Flow better. And I wasn't at all fussed by the audio quality.

Thanks for sharing. Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Nice! The piano seems to be holding up well!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Very nice on the first one...

You have improved with your new piano!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for listening everyone!

Ron, do you think it sounds ok? I really want to get it tuned! But I realized (after your post awhile back about the measures you take) that tuning is not an "essential" business in this state (despite my own sensibilities). Frowner

LL, thanks!

The second one is a little wobbly in parts, I may redo it some day. But it will do for now.

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I love it! Agree with everyone's comments. You and the piano sound great. Also, I really like the angle that lets the viewer see your hands.

How did the red light panic go? If you were nervous, you can't tell.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Yes, the piano is still holding up very well. Sure, it would sound better, more "unified" with a fresh tuning, but compared to many videos I've heard recorded recently, yours is doing so much better!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Very good SK! I enjoyed both of them.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mark, thank you for listening!!

quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Yes, the piano is still holding up very well. Sure, it would sound better, more "unified" with a fresh tuning, but compared to many videos I've heard recorded recently, yours is doing so much better!

Ron, thanks for saying that! This piano was left untuned for who knows how many years before I rescued it. It was tuned once before I bought it, and then... I had it tuned, then regulated and voiced, and then tuned again (IIRC) so I think it was tuned 3 times in maybe a 5 month period? And I have been trying really hard to control the humidity, although it does swing maybe 15-20% (thinking across weeks, not days here). And I've played it close to every day since I got it. Yes

But the point is, I hope this means that, despite its former owner's neglect, this piano has retained the famous Yamaha stability.

Keyboard Jam

Plus I will get it tuned as soon as I can!

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nina,

quote:
I really like the angle that lets the viewer see your hands.

How did the red light panic go? If you were nervous, you can't tell.

Thank you!! Re the angle: I used Mr. SK's a tripod and a cellphone holder, and then I had to stand on a stepping stool to turn the video on and off because it was up kind of high! Big Grin

Re the red light... I actually intended to record and share two completely different pieces. The first piece, which I always play from memory, I was totally distracted thinking about "oh everyone will see my hands, they look weird!" and I kept playing wrong notes. I think I made 4 takes of the first piece before giving up. Then I played the other intended piece, and after 3 attempts with minor (but to me unforgivable!) wobbles, I thought, ok this isn't going so well, I better call it a day.

But since I had everything set up, I figured I'd at least play Energy Flow (which I've played on and off forever). This recording was take 1 of that piece. I had zero expectations, had stopped thinking about everyone looking at my hands, and it went very well (minus a few wobbles which I usually never have in this piece but we'll call it good! :P

So that went so well, I thought I'd try Ascent, which I've only been playing for maybe a month or so (it's not very challenging though, note-wise).

Again, I had no expectations (which is probably why I shared the video despite some very obvious mistakes! WhoMe

TL;DR version:
I made enough bad recordings first that by the time I recorded these two, it went very well!

suave