well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Very sick in 100 degree heat. Cold or Covid?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very sick in 100 degree heat. Cold or Covid?
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted
I've never in my life had a summer cold. This one hit me on Saturday with the force of a firehose. I am fully vaccinated, but this doesn't resemble any colds I've had before.

For six days we were traveling with an old friend-five hours in our truck each way, then four days in the backcountry with the horses. She had Covid in January, but she didn't get tested and she didn't get vaccinated. Her reasoning? Her bf, a friend and her bfs kids all had it, they all had the same symptoms, the friend got tested, so she didn't need to test. Plus she's convinced she has better immunity than someone who is vaccinated, and for a longer time. She has no symptoms.

Two days after we got home from our trip, I woke up with a cough, slight nausea, and loose stools. Runny eyes and nose. Chills. Temperature depends on which device we measure with. Highest was 99.4.

Went to urgent care, they administered the rapid Covid test--negative. But then I read the rapid test should be replaced with a more thorough test if symptoms persist, as it is correct only 60 percent of the time. So I'm going for a PRA test, the gold standard, at Walgreens tomorrow.

Meanwhile, from the NP I saw and talking to the health department, I learned the following:

1. Even though our case numbers are very low, the wastewater treatment plant is finding just as much Covid in the community as we had in January, when cases were at their peak. This means that our case load is really high, but people aren't getting tested, so we don't have accurate data. Also our new piece of shite Governor removed the mask order, so lots of infected people are wandering around without masks. Half of those that do have Covid are asymptomatic, according to the health dept.

2. The health dept recommends wearing a mask in indoor crowded places, even if you are vaccinated. Vaccinated people are testing positive.

3. The health department recommends you socially distance and wear a mask around anyone who hasn't been vaccinated, as they may be asymptomatic carriers.

4. 50 percent of new cases in MT are the Delta variant from India, which is much more contagious than what we had here before.

My friend asked to tag along on Mr Piqué 's birthday trip. The thought did cross my mind that maybe I shouldn't spend all those hours in a truck cab with an unvaccinated person, but she was adamant that, having recovered from Covid (which she never verified), she had much better immunity than a vaccinated person. This was based on her own research.

5. The health dept says 12 weeks is the max immunity of a person who has recovered from Covid. I also did not know that. I trusted my friend's "research"

People who want to do things tell themselves stories about reality to justify what they want to do. The big socializers in our town kept right on socializing--she's in that camp. Whereas Mr Pique and I have been ultra cautious, feeling it isn't worth the risk.

For my part, I didn't want to say no to my friend and create a conflict. If I'd known that new cases in vaccinated people are being seen regularly around here, I might have made a different choice.

As it was, the friend was a childish pill the entire trip, and because I was constantly saving us from horse wrecks that she set us up for (out of ignorance and arrogance), I was an exhausted wreck when we got back. So, my immunity got pushed to a low ebb.

I am pissed at myself as much as at her. I will never go saddlepacking with a greenhorn ever again. I am not an outfitter or babysitter and don't want to be.

Still, it was amazingly gorgeous out there and I did enjoy it. And the horses loved it! I just hate being this sick!

If any of you reading have had Covid, would you please describe your initial symptoms to me?

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Low grade fever, not really a cough, but the feeling that if I took a deep breath I would cough. Steve felt like he’d been hit by a truck.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And really sorry you are sick.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry you are sick, and hoping it’s nothing!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Something is going around our office. Young folks, all vaccinted and they are down for about 2 days.

All better now...

I have been washing my hands alot! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Pique, I'm so sorry to hear this! I don't have any info for you, but I'm very glad you're getting a better test tomorrow.

In the meantime, I hope you feel better quick!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Low grade fever, not really a cough, but the feeling that if I took a deep breath I would cough. Steve felt like he’d been hit by a truck.

I'm in the hit by a truck category.

Just got a call back from urgent care. They want to run a battery of tests on me because of my age and history of pneumonia. So I'm headed there.

They did say a lot of people are getting sick now with colds a flu because their immune systems have not been out and about for a long time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hope you're on the mend soon.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Hoping this is just the kick after being so healthy during a pandemic.

I expect we will see more of the colds flu now that we are all taking off our masks.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope it is something else and gone very soon.

May drop off the appetizers to the function I am going to in 30 minutes and keep going after saying hi to the guest of honor.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got a call back from urgent care. They want to run a battery of tests on me because of my age and history of pneumonia. So I'm headed there.

While that might be a little disconcerting, I'm glad they're doing those tests as a precaution!

quote:
They did say a lot of people are getting sick now with colds a flu because their immune systems have not been out and about for a long time.

Here's hoping this is all it is!!!

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
They tested for flu-negative. That means it's either covid or a cold.

They said people are suddenly getting sick with all kinds of things now that precautions are no longer in place. And they are also seeing vaxxed people come down with Covid

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
So, I am going back to prior precautions, as I think what may be going on is the vaccine is not very long-lasting.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry you're sick and that you're going through the uncertainty of testing.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Not much to add except that I hope you recover quickly! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post