well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    LOLcritters (Maneki-neko edition)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOLcritters (Maneki-neko edition)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
According to Wikipedia, The Maneki Neko, literally meaning "beckoning cat", is a common Japanese figurine which is often believed to bring good luck to the owner. The figurine depicts a cat (traditionally a calico Japanese Bobtail) beckoning with an upright paw, and is usually displayed in, and often at the entrance of shops, restaurants, and other businesses.

In a residential area of Tokyo, there is a unique temple with row after row of these lucky statues, or in other words, the purr-fect place for cat lovers to pray.

According to the Japan National Tourist Organisation, during the Edo period, the feudal lord of Hikone walked past the temple on the way back to his home. The temple's cat beckoned to him from the front gate, so he did what any sensible person would do when given advice from a cat. He went into the temple for some rest. Just then, a severe thunderstorm struck, but the feudal lord was warm and dry inside the temple all thanks to the cat. To show his gratitude he donated a ton of money to the poverty-stricken temple and designated it as his family temple. When the cat died, he was enshrined in the temple grounds, becoming a god called Shobyo Kannon. Visitors to the temple started bringing a maneki neko as a gift after their wishes were granted, which is how they amassed an army of beckoning cats.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We visited that temple the last time we were in Tokyo! It pretty much looks exactly like those photos -- expect that you can't tell from the photos that the temple grounds are very expansive, and it is nestled in this very run-of-the-mill neighborhood, surrounded by regular homes, and it's kind of hard to find the temple. You sort of just stumble upon it. I'll see if I have any other interesting photos to share.

The thing about all those maneki-neko statuettes is that, when you visit the temple, you buy one and then you place it there in the temple, the act of putting it there is a way of making a prayer. But think about it, you *buy* one, and then you leave it there. So you're basically paying to decorate the temple! Nice work if you can get it! ROTFLMAO

Anyway, we did indeed buy some to leave there but we also bought some to bring home.

This is one of the photos I shared in your knickknacks thread, the maneki-neko from the temple is on the top row, second from the right:

Edited to add: the temple is called Gotkuji 豪徳寺 in case anyone wants to do a google image search Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18471 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Loved several...especially that Basket of pups!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I see those Japanese cats everywhere around here, usually battery operated and displayed next to a little pot of bamboo.

I've always enjoyed seeing them and now I know the story!

Thanks!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post