well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Judge rules that impeachment inquiry is legal

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judge rules that impeachment inquiry is legal
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A federal judge on Friday rejected claims that the impeachment probe of President Donald Trump is illegitimate as she ordered the Justice Department to give a House committee secret grand jury material collected in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

That material could help the House Judiciary Committee substantiate “potentially impeachable conduct” by Trump, said Chief Judge Beryl Howell of U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., in her ruling.

Howell brushed aside arguments made by Trump’s supporters that the impeachment inquiry is illegitimate because the House has not held a formal vote authorizing such a probe.

“Even in cases of presidential impeachment, a House resolution has never, in fact, been required to begin an impeachment inquiry,” the judge wrote.

She wrote that the White House’s refusal to cooperate with the impeachment inquiry made it even more important to give the House panel the grand jury materials that it was seeking.

“Congress’s need to access grand jury material relevant to potential impeachable conduct by a President is heightened when the Executive Branch willfully obstructs channels for accessing other relevant evidence,” Howell said.

Earlier in October, White House counsel Pat Cipollone sent House leaders a letter that called the impeachment probe “baseless, unconstitutional efforts to overturn the democratic process.”

Howell gave the Justice Department until next Wednesday to send to the Judiciary Committee the material sought, which is information collected by the grand jury that is referenced in or underlying the Mueller Report.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/2...eachment-chance.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And in other impeachment news.... ThumbsUp

quote:
President Donald Trump on Friday dismissed the need for additional help in countering Democrats' impeachment efforts despite pleas from outside advisers for a more coordinated response from the White House.

In a comment reminiscent of his "I alone can fix it" declaration in accepting the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, Trump told reporters gathered on the White House South Lawn that he will be the one leading the fight when it comes to responding to impeachment.

"Here's the thing. I don't have teams, everyone's talking about teams," Trump said. "I'm the team. I did nothing wrong."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...rs-i-m-team-n1072086

someone better clue in Mulvaney....

https://www.politico.com/news/...p-impeachment-057296

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post