well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A nationwide shortage of carrots.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A nationwide shortage of carrots.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
A nationwide shortage of carrots.

Seriously! It’s like the whole country decided to get healthy at the same time. My local Vons store doesn’t have any carrots at all. I checked online and this is a national thing. Canada is particularly hard hit

Crazy!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Baked my last half pound of baby carrots two days ago, didn’t know that there is a carrot shortage.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I like carrots but don't use a lot of them in the summer. They're more of a winter vegetable for us when I'm making soups and stews. I didn't realize they're in short supply.

As it turns out, we're getting a bunch in our CSA box today!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37872 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I grew a few. We don't eat that many carrots so mine plus occasional bunches from the CSA has been keeping us well-supplied.

Guess I should plant more for the fall!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'm growing them this year. Very tasty. I guess I got out in front of this one.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Our veggie box has three different choices for them this week (normal local 2LB bagged, local bunch with greens on, local heirloom). Baby carrots are never an option in the veggie box because they aren’t produced locally.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Don't tell our dog. He would worry.
He gets two mini carrots a day.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
One of the only veggies I eat, so buy baby cit carrots weekly. No shortage.

I would love to grow some but the year I did, something ate them, I nthe ground

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I got some in my Imperfect Foods box that I forgot to cancel last week. I’m going to pickle them, Mexican-style pickled carrots with jalapeño and onion.

I’ve stopped most of my Imperfect deliveries because I’m doing online order/grocery pickup at my usual supermarket for almost everything else. Imperfect isn’t recycling their packaging right now due to pandemic, and I feel guilty about the cold pack and thermal bubble wrap that I can’t recycle (there’s too much to keep it every week). Other than that, I was happy with them.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
When you all speak of "baby carrots", unless you have some special source, I presume you are referring to those carved up BIG (and rather woody) carrots made to look as if they were little ones.

Disgusted and disappointed by this marketing ploy and the absence of real baby carrots. I HAVE noticed that organic carrots are sweeter and tastier though nowhere neare as good as the real baby ones used to be.

(Avoiding carrots - and carrot juice - these days owing to Keto restrictions, so I haven't noticed any shortage locally.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post