well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    As I Begin My 100th Year ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As I Begin My 100th Year ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nice essay. I, too, am astounded that we're still dealing with voting rights in 2021. In my opinion, we should be making voting easier, not harder. What would that look like?

Well, for starters, mail ballots to every registered voter, for every election. Let them vote by mail as the first option, then drop-off at a precinct, finally make them go in and physically cast their vote at the precinct itself. Every citizen above a certain age (18 as of now) is eligible to vote. Period. Extend voting hours in areas that have reduced them. Have paid time off for voting. Voting is open for several days, at least one of which must be a weekend. Limit the amount of time before an election that someone can declare their candidacy and campaign, with exorbitant fines for non-compliance (including removal from the race). Limit the amount of money a candidate can spend on an election, regardless of the source of the funds. Eliminate "dark money."

None if this is ground breaking. This is in place in many, many countries today. Beyond that, abolish Citizens United. We are no longer leaders in democracy.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post