well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How are those tariffs working for ya?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are those tariffs working for ya?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
President Donald Trump has promised throughout his presidency to revive American manufacturing by putting punishing tariffs on foreign competition.

But a new study from the US Federal Reserve suggests that his efforts have backfired — and that the manufacturing sector is worse off than it was before the president began his protectionist trade policy.

Economists Aaron Flaaen and Justin Pierce, who describe their study as “as the first comprehensive estimates of the effect of recent tariffs on the US manufacturing sector,” argue that the data shows that any benefits from protection from foreign competition have been more than canceled out by retaliatory tariffs from trading partners and an increase in the cost of components sourced from abroad.

As a result, US manufacturing has seen job losses and higher prices for consumers.

“We find the impact from the traditional import protection channel is completely offset in the short-run by reduced competitiveness from retaliation and higher costs in downstream industries,” the authors say.

The findings affirm predictions from trade economists across the political spectrum who have warned that Trump’s tariffs were more likely to damage the US economy than help it — particularly in a globalized economy, where any major departure from free trade norms comes with an array of costs.

The findings also directly contradict what Trump says the effects of the tariffs have been. Trump has argued that “the U.S. is taking in massive amounts of money” and has claimed “Billions of Dollars are pouring into the coffers of the U.S.A. because of the Tariffs.”

The study finds the tariffs he has imposed on things like steel, aluminum, and Chinese goods have not done this at all. Given Trump’s adversarial relationship with the Federal Reserve, it seems unlikely the president will be swayed by the work of its experts, meaning the study probably will not alter his calculus on trade policy.

He not only knows more than the generals, he knows more than the Fed does....

https://www.vox.com/policy-and...ring-consumer-prices

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And the take from the National Review.

https://www.nationalreview.com...rican-manufacturing/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
So... What I haven't heard yet, is where is the money from the tariffs going? General fund? Anyone following the money on this one??

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Numbered account in the Caymans.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Numbered account in the Caymans.

Probably
My farm income has taken a hit. I will not be going to the Caymans.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Will any of I-1’s loyal followers ever see that his tariffs are hitting them right in the wallet and that their standard of living is measurably lower because of I-1?

I’m guessing that’s a “nope”.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
How is this reconciled with historic record low unemployment statistics? Laid off manufacturing workers and would-be manufacturing workers just turn service workers?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
“Record low unemployment” according to whom? The people who want to score political points by convincing you that unemployment is low? Even if not one additional person becomes employed, all you have to do is change your method of counting, and you can change the unemployment rate.

I don’t know for sure that they are fudging the numbers, but I know that I do not trust a damned thing this administration says.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post