well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another industrial fire in Illinois

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another industrial fire in Illinois
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Fire officials said that 180,000 to 200,000 lbs. of lithium batteries are burning, and due to the nature of the fire they are going to have to let it burn out on its own, a process expected to take until at least Wednesday. The batteries involved in the fire range from cell phone batteries to commercial batteries the size of a car.

Still, fire officials said, comparing this fire to the Rockton Chemtool fire is like "comparing a mouse to an elephant." Fire officials said because of the Rockton fire, there are additional resources to help combat this kind of fire that would not have been immediately available otherwise.

Governor JB Pritzker said he is sending Illinois National Guard troops to help at the scene.

So far, no injuries have been reported.

https://abc7chicago.com/morris...s-illinois/10843958/

I just watched a press conference with the fire chief. He said that they were told by the EPA that they shouldn't use water or firefighting foam. He said "we were educated".

If they have a warehouse full of stuff (like lithium batteries) that gets really "interesting" when it catches on fire, I would have hoped that they knew what to do *before* a fire occurred....

HairRaising

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
fire officials said, comparing this fire to the Rockton Chemtool fire is like "comparing a mouse to an elephant."

Wait, which is the mouse? The battery fire or the Rockton fire??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18576 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think the Morris lithium battery fire is the mouse.

But it's still serious.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
If they have a warehouse full of stuff (like lithium batteries) that gets really "interesting" when it catches on fire, I would have hoped that they knew what to do *before* a fire occurred....

HairRaising

I'll give him credit for having sense enough to call and ask...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Good point.

Turns out the fire department didn't know that the warehouse was storing lithium batteries.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone is behind on their inspections...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post