well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Statins and muscle pain

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Statins and muscle pain
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
America’s Most Popular Drug Has a Puzzling Side Effect. We Finally Know Why.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...know-why/ar-AA1d7aBi

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38086 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
very interesting. My mom was one who had a very negative reaction to statins. After being put on them in her late 70s, she was suffering so from the side effects that she was making end of life decisions. I heard her say a number of times there was just no point in living anymore like this.

she decided on her own that she would rather just stop taking the drugs, and take whatever risk there was from the cholesterol.

she immediately felt vastly better, and returned her old lifestyle, and was very active. it didn’t last forever of course. She died 16 years later at the age of 94.

Posts: 10335 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They haven’t bothered me at all. That said, cholesterol is not the one size fits all risk factor as once was thought. I was talking with a cardiologist about this today. The current thinking is that genetic factors play a much larger role than cholesterol. Some people are just not genetically inclined toward atherosclerosis and plaque buildup.

So if the statins affect you badly it’s probably a lesser risk to discontinue them and rely on diet, exercise, etc.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13590 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Most statins give me muscle pain. The only one that does not is low-dose Livalo.

Posts: 45782 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
So if the status affect you badly it’s probably a lesser risk to discontinue them and rely on diet, exercise, etc.

That's what my old GP told me. The risk is rhabdomyolysis.

Posts: 45782 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
My cholesterol ratio went from good to bad to good to bad to good.

My doctor said, "How do you do that?!"

I told him I didn't know and tentatively offered that I exercise a little.

Posts: 24846 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post