well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    British Airways retires its entire fleet of 747s

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Airways retires its entire fleet of 747s
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
British Airways has said it will retire all of its Boeing 747s as it suffers from the sharp travel downturn.

The UK airline is the world's largest operator of the jumbo jets, with 31 in the fleet.

"It is with great sadness that we can confirm we are proposing to retire our entire 747 fleet with immediate effect," a BA spokesman told the BBC.

Airlines across the world have been hit hard by coronavirus-related travel restrictions.

"It is unlikely our magnificent 'queen of the skies' will ever operate commercial services for British Airways again due to the downturn in travel caused by the Covid-19 global pandemic," the spokesman added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53426886

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The 747 is a great airplane, but compared to others, like the 777, it costs a little more to operate and may be bigger than even an august carrier like BA needs right now. The largest 777 can carry almost as many people and can go about as far with lower fuel costs (two engines versus four) and lower maintenance costs.

The 747 has been and icon since it first came out. It is one of the five most recognizable man-made objects, right up there with the Coca-Cola bottle. It funny that I've seen an oblique, but clearly 747-shaped airplane outline on a road sign pointing to an airport... but it was an airport with a 3000-foot runway -- where you'd land a Cessna, not a 747. But like "Coleman" means "camping", "Kleenex" means "snotwipe", an image of a 747 means "airplane".

They are still being built today, nearly all are cargo airplanes. A few of the passenger version are built for VIP airplanes. The two that will be the new Air Force One fleet were actually built in 2013 for an airline that went out of business.

I flew on BA's 747s several times. I especially liked being upstairs where in many of their airplanes, that was Business Class. Upstairs, the airplane is only as wide as a 737, so it's cozy and uncrowded, but with all of the comfort and stable ride the jumbo has to offer. Once, long before Sept 11 and the security changes that ensued, I once visited the flight deck somewhere over the Atlantic. Two kids were also visiting the flight deck. I grabbed some juggling balls from my carry-on bag (because, one should *always* have juggling balls in one's carry-on bag!) and juggled for the entertainment of the flight crew and the visiting kids. How many of you can say you've done that?

If you're ever in Seattle, visit the Museum of Flight and you can walk through the first ever 747. It's all open inside, so you can see all the workings. It's pretty cool... if you're any sort of geek at all.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

If you're ever in Seattle, visit the Museum of Flight and you can walk through the first ever 747. It's all open inside, so you can see all the workings. It's pretty cool... if you're any sort of geek at all.
Nice, one of these days ... Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Back in my day it was 727's. VeryAngry Leaving

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once, long before Sept 11 and the security changes that ensued, I once visited the flight deck somewhere over the Atlantic. Two kids were also visiting the flight deck. I grabbed some juggling balls from my carry-on bag (because, one should *always* have juggling balls in one's carry-on bag!) and juggled for the entertainment of the flight crew and the visiting kids. How many of you can say you've done that?

Well, I did manage to engineer a visit to the cockpit to chat with the BA pilot and co-pilot on my flight back from London. We were somewhere over Hudson's Bay.

We talked about beer.

But you got me on the juggling part....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m so glad I got the boy on one last year. He will be sad to hear this.

Got him on an A380 also, and those are earmarked for discontinuation too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

If you bring the boy to Seattle sometime, we can go on the factory tour. It's pretty cool. It's the largest building by volume in the world. Imagine a building big enough you can actually misplace a 747 in it. That's how big it is.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
One of my goofiest 747 memories... I had a mileage upgrade from SFO - Honolulu years ago, and they put me in "the bubble." This was on the model where the bubble was much smaller -- I don't know if that was an early model or a later one. At any rate, the airline was having a contest to see who could come the closest to guessing when we were exactly halfway to Honolulu, and they did it by cabin. There were maybe 6-7 of us in the bubble, and I won! I may well have been the only person who actually did the contest.

It remains one of the few times I've ever won anything, and the wine was pretty good! Cool

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
One of my goofiest 747 memories... I had a mileage upgrade from SFO - Honolulu years ago, and they put me in "the bubble." This was on the model where the bubble was much smaller -- I don't know if that was an early model or a later one. At any rate, the airline was having a contest to see who could come the closest to guessing when we were exactly halfway to Honolulu, and they did it by cabin. There were maybe 6-7 of us in the bubble, and I won! I may well have been the only person who actually did the contest.

It remains one of the few times I've ever won anything, and the wine was pretty good! Cool

Wow, I remember one of those contests too. I think I was 12, and we were flying back to Nassau from somewhere in Europe. Even at 12 I had to laugh at the 'contest.' They gave you the airspeed, the current time, your current position, and the mileage to go to get to Nassau and asked you to calculate something silly like "At what time will we be 1000 miles out of Nassau." I muttered something like, "arithmetic," and won whatever little prize that was on offer. It wasn't a glass of wine, alas.

I really liked the 747. I think the longest flight on one was Honolulu to Atlanta non-stop. I was used to 707s and DC-8s, which were much narrower. Never got to fly in the bubble, though.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Ahem.

The correct term, as used by aviation enthusiasts the world over, is “the hump”.

Thank you.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
And did I ever tell you about the time I got out of Kreplachia in the flight deck of a 747?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Is that a small fishing village wedged between Latvia and Estonia? Big Grin

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Seriously, I flew in one once.

I was 14. It was a school trip to London.

I enjoyed it. I'm glad I had the experience.

And, yes, my friends and I sat in the hump away from the chaperones. Evil

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

If you bring the boy to Seattle sometime, we can go on the factory tour. It's pretty cool. It's the largest building by volume in the world. Imagine a building big enough you can actually misplace a 747 in it. That's how big it is.

That would be AWESOME

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post