well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Words and gender

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words and gender
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
I know almost all of the “men’s words” and almost none of the women’s. Of the latter, the only one I’ve ever personally uttered is doula.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm not laughing at the Japanese words in male column. Seriously, I'm not!

hysteric

Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18523 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Do you have to know exactly what they are or just have a vague idea? Like I think servo is vaguely a part of a motor and aileron is a thing on a plane wing. I think Katana might be a sword and Howitzer is a military gun thing from back in the day and lots of the terms like gauss and boson have to do with electricity and particle physics and an azimuth has something to do with planets and stars ....but out of all of them, I can only precisely define milliamp and checksum. I'm not sure how much you have to know about the term in order to count as "knowing" it. Honestly, though, true to form, I can precisely define almost every term on the female list except for "Kohl" - never heard of that.

I do find it somewhat insulting that the entire men's list is either weapons or science terms while the women's list is either mostly fabric, flowers, fashion, and childbirth related.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also, they need more participants. But I do qualitative research, so you didn't hear me say that...

P.S. here's the article in case anyone other than me is curious:

https://link.springer.com/arti...58/s13428-018-1077-9

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18523 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The female words are almost entirely sewing/seamstress terms. The male words lean heavily towards science.

Hmmmm.

I felt pretty confident of 12 on the male side, and semi-confident about 3 more--as in, I couldn't precisely define it but could definitely be in the ballpark. I knew all of the female words, in particular I need to give a nod to Victorian novelists for me knowing "pessary."

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can precisely define almost every term on the female list except for "Kohl" - never heard of that.

Oh, it's just cabbage ... in German. Big Grin

I'm guessing it's referring to makeup.

quote:
I knew all of the female words, in particular I need to give a nod to Victorian novelists for me knowing "pessary."

My wife's an OB-GYN. How could I NOT know pessary!

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I know all the female words with precision.

I know almost all of the male words to varying degrees of precision. I'd have trouble articulating a definition for some of them, but I could probably swing an A if you put them on a multiple-choice test.

I have the same problem as others with the fact that the women's list is fabrics, flowers, makeup, and gynecology.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I know 19 of the male, to 1 of the female. lol

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
18 of the "male" ones.

13 of the "female" ones.

Do I get to keep my Metrosexual badge?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
18 men

15 women

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post