well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It's that time of year

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's that time of year
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Cheap macaroons!!!!

happydance

Online (and on the label of the can I bought) I see all sorts of flavors listed that I can't find in the chain stores....chocolate hazelnut, pistachio orange, cold brew Earl Grey tea (?)....I need to check out some of the independent grocers to see if they stock any of the unique flavors...

Matzos are cheap this time of year, too. Yes, I'm one of those odd folks who actually likes matzos....last year I picked up a couple of different kinds to try when Costco did the post-Passover price cut.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I bought a five x one pound box of matzo last year. We only ate one of the one pound boxes. I'm going to finish it off this year. I never see leftover matzo in the stores... not like halloween candy.

I saw no matzo at Costco. I don't think I ever have.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco tends to tailor their food selection by area. There are a lot of people from India and Pakistan who live in Schaumburg, a suburb that's a 15 minute drive from my Mount Prospect store. The Costco in Schaumburg has a lot of Indian food items that I don't see at MP.

The only store where I had previously seen matzos is located in an area where a lot of Jewish people live; I occasionally go up there if I'm looking for kosher goodies.

Last year was the first time matzos showed up at my Costco. Apparently not a strong seller because there were a ton of them left, so I picked them up for next to nothing when they did a post-Passover price reduction. They had these really cool hand baked round ones that are like 16 inches in diameter. Delicious with chopped liver.... Yummy

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
There's a pretty significant Jewish population in the inner eastern suburbs of Seattle. I guess Costco has not gotten the memo, even though corporate headquarters is in the eastern suburbs of Seattle.

The HQ is in Issaquah. Someone decided that would not be a catchy name for the house brand. So, they picked the name of the suburb to the north and west of Issaquah: Kirkland.

Oddly, the Kirkland store has jars of really really good bleu cheese dressing, but the Issaquah store does not carry them. I never understood why.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Costco tends to tailor their food selection by area.
Indeed it does. Of the two Costco warehouses near me, one I can consistently find Korean roasted seaweed but not precooked lamb shanks, the other I can consistently find precooked lamb shanks but not Korean roasted seaweed. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12704 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Another mystery is that at some stores the cucumbers are in the cold produce section and in some they are out on the main floor.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com