well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Photodynamic Therapy - Super promising approach to otherwise

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photodynamic Therapy - Super promising approach to otherwise
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
...almost hopeless conditions.

various cancers and more

quote:
Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a two-stage treatment that combines light energy with a drug (photosensitizer) designed to destroy cancerous and precancerous cells after light activation. Photosensitizers are activated by a specific wavelength of light energy, usually from a laser. The photosensitizer is nontoxic until it is activated by light. However, after light activation, the photosensitizer becomes toxic to the targeted tissue.

Several photosensitizer drugs are available today to treat a variety of diseases, including acne, psoriasis, age-related macular degeneration, and several cancers, such as skin, lung, brain, bladder, pancreas, bile duct, esophagus, and head and neck.

In addition to treating these conditions, PDT also helps treat bacterial, fungal and viral infections. Studies have shown that this light-based therapy can trigger the body's immune response, giving your body another means to help destroy cancerous and precancerous cells.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Funny, I’m scheduled January 7th.

I have had lots of skin cancers, even before transplant in my 30s.

One of my transplant meds increases the risk of skin cancers by 10,000%! That’s 100x

So my new dermatologist wants to do PDT on my face to reduce the risk.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33809 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post