well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Grado SR60e headphones review

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grado SR60e headphones review
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://gradolabs.com/headphon...-series/item/2-sr60e

SO gave me a gift of these headphones. I had basically the same pair 20 years ago. They were a revelation then. They are even better now.

a. They have the same equal emphasis from the bass through the exceptional mid-range to the high frequency. They are blissful for classical, country, blues, folk, etc. They are very nice for just about anything else including light hip hop. They should probably not be used for rock, heavy metal, etc.

b.The technology used has improved, the build quality has improved (thicker cords, bigger ear cushions, etc. I particularly like the cushions because they are big and indented (my old ones were small and flat).

c. There are: "open air." Sound will leak out and also the reverse. They are best suited for home use.

d. The 1953 styling is a trip. They remind me of the headphones they used to test us with in school.

e. I believe these were $79.99. I know I paid $69.99 20 years ago. They are a very good bargain and sacrifice nothing.

I recommend these headphones if you want true audiophile quality stay-at-home headphones.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
Don't use headphones often, maybe I should.
Would like to listen to my music collection, but rarely. Too many varied tastes in the household got me out of the habit.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of highly rated Sony Studio headphone but rarely use them.

They sound great, but...

I vastly prefer to listen to these.

Or, when I am working, or gaming, I use a pair of JBL Studio Monitors on my PC.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That Sony pair gets exceptional reviews, but I find them uncomfortable.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'd like to put together a SET tube system, and a direct radiating speaker solid state. I've pretty much drawn up the plans. Now all I have to do is win the lottery. Razzer

Seriously, I'm very happy with digital. I just miss Tower Records and wish I could figure out streaming.

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

I find all headphones/IEMs to be uncomfortable.

I chose the Sony based on the reviews and the fact that they are closed back design which is better for recording studio use.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
https://gradolabs.com/headphon...e-series/item/6-rs1e

These Grado have L cushions. I think this would be the most comfortable for me. $$

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

I had a pair of portable Sony headphones before I got these. A basic model with three sizes of ear tips. They still make them. They were excellent for the price. They lasted for two years and one day just started distorting badly. I recommend them. They can be found for between $10-$20.