well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tempeh fail

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tempeh fail
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I have tried to successfully cook this substance several times, with no success. Tonight I marinated it in a soy-garlic bath, then made a mushroom and coconut milk sauce. I used a recipe from the internet.

It’s still just the weirdest texture. Something tells me it might work if broken up and pressed into burgers with some kind of binder, but otherwise I am at a loss.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I think you have to be from Arizona to get it right ...

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I think you have to be from Arizona to get it right ...
Big Grin ThumbsUp

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We have a really yummy taco recipe that uses it. You slice it thinly into matchsticks and then mix it together with grated sweet potato.

From Thug Kitchen (recently renamed Bad Manners Food)

Sweet Potato Al Pastor

Ingredients
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 cup fresh or canned pineapple chunks with 1/4 cup juice
1/4 cup lime juice
3 Tbsp mild chili powder
2 tsp liquid smoke*
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp olive oil or safflower oil
8 oz. tempeh, cut into thin 1-inch long strips
3 cups shredded raw sweet potato
2 Tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce
8 corn tortillas
Optional: diced onion, jalapeños, cilantro, pineapple salsa, for topping

1. Make the filling: In a blender or food processor, throw together the onion, pineapple, lime juice, chili powder, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, cumin, and oregano. Blend until the sauce starts to look somewhat smooth, then set aside.

2. In a large skillet, warm the oil up over medium heat. Add the tempeh and sauté it around for about 2 minutes, then fold in the sweet potato and sprinkle over the Bragg's. Keep cooking until the sweet potato starts to soften up, 3 to 5 minutes longer.

3. Pour in the sauce you blended up earlier and stir it all up until everything is covered and starting to warm up, about 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat.

4. Start making tacos: Warm the tortillas and serve topped with the filling, onions, jalapeños, and cilantro, or pineapple salsa.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4097 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Dol, that sounds yummy and looks like it would work well, partly because the tempeh is sliced so thin. And melded into the sweet potato mixture.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried this recipe for tempeh but thought I'd pass it along....

Dijon mustard marinated tempeh

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I only need something like this on rare occasions. My passion for it is very .... tempeh-rary.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Tempeh is one of those foods that deserves all the snarky jokes about it.