well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    New York Times subscription

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York Times subscription
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted
A few weeks ago I got an offer for a NYT subscription for $2.99 a month. Because people post things here so often that sound interesting, and I am constantly finding recipes that look great but are behind the paywall, I decided to get it. Best $2.99 a month I’ve ever spent. I will likely keep the subscription even after the promotion period is up (one year). Just the recipes alone make it worth it!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4094 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
$2.99 a month! maybe if I was a trust fund baby.

I can download a digital copy from my local library for free, with the only inconvenience being I have to redo it the subscription every three days. But worth the effort because it leaves my $2.99 free for wine, women and song. Or maybe tacos…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Steve can get it on his iPad via his mom (there is some deal that you can gift to a family member) and we have a subscription to NYT cooking - the recipes really are great!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, one more thing I’m overpaying for. Ten years or so ago I opted to receive the “Weekender” subscription, which is the paper edition on Fri-Sat-Sun plus digital access all the time. And it lets me give my daughter a free digital subscription.

It originally cost around $40 a month and is now $68. I don’t know what digital-only costs.

I find that the paper edition “forces” me to read more sections of the paper than the digital version, because digitally it requires tapping the index to access the various sections. Almost no arts coverage on the main page, for example. The Wash. Post by contrast tends to have most everything on the main page.

Been thinking about going to paper only on Sunday, which I think would save $20/month.

I do enjoy the recipes, at least the ones that aren’t too complicated. They get clipped from the paper and filed.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I miss having the physical paper NYT on my doorstep every morning. City edition. Out here we can get only the national edition and it is sent by mail and it arrives after about a week. Except you can buy the Sunday edition in some stores--they must fly it in--for about $8. Sometimes I splurge on it.

I had both the NYT and WaPo subscriptions for about a year. I canceled the WaPo. NYT forever! And it's easy to forget to seek out other sections of the paper when it is online.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I have a NYT online subscription too. I got a super cheap sub to WaPo, but somehow I don’t like it as much, so when it was time to renew, I canceled, and then they offered a cheap one so I kept it. I do try to remember to look at WaPo too, but it’s just not compelling. Can’t decide if it’s the writing or just their web design, I don’t know.

Anyway, NYT is worth it, imo.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18542 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I do try to remember to look at WaPo too, but it’s just not compelling. Can’t decide if it’s the writing or just their web design, I don’t know.

One annoying thing about their website is that the same article can appear two or three times as you scroll down. And many articles remain posted for two or three days.

I get it through my daughter so at least I don’t pay for it.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
One annoying thing about their website is that the same article can appear two or three times as you scroll down. And many articles remain posted for two or three days.

I agree, that is annoying!

I don't mind seeing the same article linked for a few days. I generally don't read a lot of articles in one sitting so that's ok. But yeah, just one place for the links, please.

Posts: 18542 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We get the NYT paper edition on Sundays, plus digital all access. Somehow this lets us get Games (Spelling Bee, yay!) and Cooking. I love the recipes.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
We get the NYT paper edition on Sundays, plus digital all access. Somehow this lets us get Games (Spelling Bee, yay!) and Cooking. I love the recipes.

My current fav is Connections!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4094 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too!!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Me too!!

Me three!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post