well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Alzheimer's Drug Catastrophe?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alzheimer's Drug Catastrophe?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Benefit for the pharm?

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have quite a bit of relatively insider knowledge on this. It's a hail mary and an unprecedented break in FDA procedure. The normal process has been pretty much discarded in fervent hope of making progress.

There's an argument for that, but at what cost?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about it, but it sure sounds like a payola deal.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
My dad has dementia and is in memory care, at 86.

I would not even consider putting him on this. Frail, old people are the last people you should experiment on. They already have lots of health problems for which they take lots of drugs. What effects and interactions will this drug cause?

Dad may not have a lot of years left, but I dont think we should squander them with him taking g a drug that hasn't been proven effective.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I second Cindy's thoughts.

My great-aunt was prescribed Aricept a long time ago. One of the nurses at the nursing home she lived in told me (in an indirect and subtle way) that in general they saw very little, if any, positive results and that people seemed to have side effects and it was tough on the liver. I told the doctor to take her off the med.

And though it's anecdotal, I and some close friends have had experience managing the meds for senior parents with and without dementia. The fewer drugs and the fewer side effects you have to juggle, the better.

Everyone would like the magic cure. Sad to say, it doesn't exist yet.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post