well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I will never donate again.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I will never donate again.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I sent $25 to Warnock and another $25 to Ossoff. I will never do that again.

Every day since, I get emails begging for more money. They started at 6-8 emails per day and have now crested 3-4 emails per hour. Seriously.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I wound up blocking the emails. A real nuisance.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
You just unsubscribe. Don’t blame them, every time they blast the list, some money comes in. So they do it lots. Imagine if you could push a little “send” button and watch your account grow.

I stuck with Biden/Harris emails through the election out of curiosity. I gave at the end of September and got 1 email a day at first. By a few days before the election I counted 9-10 a day.

I’ve since unsubscribed.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Do this:

1. Create a new email account with Google or Yahoo! or any other service that lets you create free email accounts.

2. Make your donations using that new email account.

3. Get your confirmation/receipts, save them somewhere else.

4. Delete (or just ignore) that new email account, never have to think about it again.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I donated to many different Senate campaigns, and got outlandish emails. Senate campaigns that raised more money than any in history sent me sad emails about how they were running out of money.

Ax’s answer is the right one, but sadly I used my real email for ActBlue. I have to fix that.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Started unsubscribing before Nov. 3rd. Did it again for the Georgia race last week.
A few still slip through.
Now I label them spam.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I find it is the same with concerts online. You pay for a single event and, via e-mail, the venue keeps sending you fundraising emails. Must follow Ax's advice.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I used one of my real email addys, and just unsubscribed immediately. Worked fine.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I was at a juggling festival once and attending a workshop on street performing. The fellow teaching the workshop said that in over 20 years of performing in public he has consistently found that someone who has given you some money is more likely to give you more than someone who hasn't given you any giving you some.

Early on, I was very keen on Elizabeth Warren. I think I gave her a few bucks; I don't really remember. Then the e-mails started. And the text messages. There was a page on her website to select how often you wanted to receive communications and pleas. I checked "weekly". They slowed down to a couple a week. Then they started increasing to several a week... then to daily... then to three or four a day. I finally called them and told them that while I still support her candidacy, they had overstayed their welcome in my head. I unsubscribed from the e-mails (which, surprisingly, worked) and changed my phone number on their site to a bogus number (I hope).

If her campaign had just stayed with one or maybe two contacts a week, I would probably given her more money and stuck with her to the primary.

And then, they sell or at least share your name with every other cause and candidate they think you will support.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
... they sell or at least share your name with every other cause and candidate they think you will support.
That’s the whole point of ActBlue (D) and WinRed (R) — centralize all donor data such that the entire party can leverage the database. It's designed into the platform, individual politicians don't have much control over it. its costlier if individual campaign tries to use a different fundraising platform, and the party gives them flack for not using the party's preferred platform.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Yeah, same here during the presidential campaign. Not to mention that ActBlue plain stole contributions from me in several ways (changed biweekly contribution to twice that, and refused to allow me to change it Cost me LOTS of wasted time dealing with credit card and more.)

Also turned me so completely off Nancy Pelosi I was tempted to change parties. Have you all been getting pretend personal texts, beginning with such phrases as:

"My heart is broken"
"Sickened more than ever before"
"Amanda, your immediate help is needed before midnight"
"Begging you on my knees..."

And many more.

Don't even know how to block texts. I'm also disgusted by all her promises to double, triple, quadruple (quintuple?) my contribution.

Just WHO is providing these multipliers anyhow? I asked once, suggesting that informing the person being solicited of who alleged these backers are might be more credible - and effective. (Did you ever wonder?)

Considered contributing 1$ to a GOP campaign so as to get some perspective on what it looks like on the other side (ie., to elicit their symmetrical solicitations) . Then perhaps I won't end up so wholly disgusted by what my party is pulling.

Nancy Pelosi above all. Curse

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the burner email. I have one on yahoo.

I actually have 3 emails - professional (from my employer), personal (through my ISP), and burner.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post