well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Produce question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Produce question
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I bought a bunch of carrots, some celery packed in cellophane and a bunch of onions at TJ about a week ago. We got busy and I haven’t looked at them since.

I went to use them tonight and was surprised to see the onions OK, but the carrots are going limp and the celery is rotting at the base. Is this a thing in the Midwest? Longer shipping times, etc.? I’m used to carrots and celery lasting weeks in the fridge - sometimes a month or more.

Or did TJ pick up a badly handled batch?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Chances are they were picked long before they were even shipped to your store.

Welcome to the cold weather part of the world!

Does it have a growing location?

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Long time Midwesterner here, and I routinely keep carrots and celery for weeks, sometimes longer.

I think you got a bad bunch of produce.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I didn’t look. Maybe I should start.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And we always make it a point to buy TJ's celery hearts, which are packaged under the Josie's label.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t usually buy produce cut and wrapped like that because I use the leaves and such for stock. Maybe I’ll try a different store.

I don’t much care for the local TJ anyway. It’s in a chi-chi mall that charges for parking and the parking structure is too tight for my truck.

TJ is fun, but not that much fun…

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
May as well ask another question. Dinner last night was at the in-laws and was delicious as always. She served baked potatoes and they were great, but they were white potatoes - maybe Irish Rose.

Very different from the Russets I’m used to. Softer, more dense. Not fluffy.

Is this a thing?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
White potatoes are a little softer. Don't see them very often. usually use Yukon Gold for mashed.

WTG's right - you just got bad produce. Carrots in particular last virtually forever. I've cooked them after a month or so in the crisper. Celery goes bad faster.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I had trouble finding white potatoes at the regular chain grocery stores. My mom used to like white potatoes boiled as a side to cold borscht, and the only place I could routinely find them was at the Polish deli/market not far from her house.

We don't eat a lot of baked potatoes, but when we do I always buy russets. But for me, they have to have thick brown skin and lately what's been at Mariano's has lighter color skin that's quite thin. I love to eat the inside of the potato and then pop the empty skin in the oven to let it crisp up before I put more butter, sour cream, and chives in it and fold it lengthwise to eat.

What's an Irish Rose potato?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I like to eat my baked potatoes complete as I go, cutting off bites including the skins. I think my habits changed as an adult. When I was a boy, I'd extract the potato from the skin, mash it with my fork, and add butter before I ate it. Then, I'd take the skin, add a little butter, and eat the skin.

Maybe it's a function of getting more ingredienats in a loaded baked potato that led me to eat it all as I go.

We don't eat baked potatoes at home very often. Mostly, our potatoes are russets or Yukon Golds and they end up as mashed, boiled, scalloped, or some other variety of cooked potato.

I have a small list of superlatives for foods that I keep in my mind. My best baked potato was a big Idaho baked potato in an Amtrak diner somewhere between Minneapolis and Chicago.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yes, carrots and celery should last longer than that, even away from California. I might buy one or two produce items from our local TJ’s but there are better local options for produce.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Carrots last a long time (though we have a carrot processing place really close to us so likely they are grown nearby even in winter as they can store them for a long time). Celery is dicier. I have wrapped it in aluminum foil if I need to keep it more than a week. For some reason that keeps it crisp.

And Russets are the only potato suitable for baking.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the celery but sounds to me like the carrots froze and defrosted.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We've gotten very fond of baked sweet potatoes. The skin is not as delicious as a russet, but still very tasty with a little (ok a lot) butter, s&p.

Mashed sweets are great too. The other day I did not have quite enough of either kind so I mixed russets and sweets and it was delicious.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

What's an Irish Rose potato?

That’s what Mom called them but the Google tells me they are actually “White Rose” potatoes.