well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hey Steve - paint question

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Steve - paint question
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Have you ever used Ben Moore Advance waterborne alkyd? Thinking about using it on cabinets.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve never used that particular product, but every Ben Moore product I’ve ever used has been outstanding. Their wall paint creates the nicest finish I’ve ever seen.

Not cheap, though.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
No, it's not. But I've used it for decades. I have some walls that haven't been repainted in 25 years and don't need it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Our painter used it on our crown molding, base trim and door casings.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
How did it turn out? Did it level out nicely? No brush marks?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We're old and our near vision is failing, so we can't see any brush marks. Big Grin

Seriously, though...Our painter is very good. I have no idea how he does it, but he gets perfect results without taping off trim. Just freehand in a straight line.

This trim was put up maybe 25 years ago and painted at that time by the same guy but not with Advance (it wasn't around), but with Moore Impervo (I think that was the name) satin. He repainted them the last time he was here maybe 5 years ago, that time with Advance. We do see brush marks a little but I'm not sure if that's not the first coat of Impervo texture coming through the Advance applied over it. There was no way we would have asked him to sand all the trim to get a perfect-perfect finish.

He's a Ben Moore guy forever. He did say he loves Advance because it goes on so smoothly.

Guess I would get a quart of Advance and piece of nice pine or poplar, give it a light sanding and try it out. I'm guessing you'd be pleased with the results.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I’ve used BM Impervo. It’s been on my metal stair rails for 27 years. Great stuff. A pain to clean up but wears like iron.