well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The weird power of the placebo effect

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The weird power of the placebo effect
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Article is from 2017.

quote:
Scientists have been studying this incredibly complex interface in great detail over the past 15 years, and they’re finding that sugar pills are stranger and more useful than we’ve previously imagined. The new science of placebo is bringing new understanding to why alternative treatments — like acupuncture and reiki — help some people. And it could also potentially allow us to one day prescribe smaller doses of pain drugs to help address the opioid crisis currently ravaging America.

Most instructively, the science finds that since we can’t separate a medicine from the placebo effect, shouldn’t we use it to our advantage?

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37981 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Also use it to cut costs and inflate billings? Evil
- Prescribe cheap sugar pills to cut costs.
- Bill you big dollars so you think you are getting million dollar drugs.

Can't help to wonder how the economic incentives and real-world implementation of using placebos would work.

Sure, placebos are in some ways cheaper that real drugs. But how do you bill the insurers for placebos? What happens to the placebo effect after the patent sees in the bill or insurance "explanation of benefits" statements that what he took was really just a placebo?

If the placebo effect hinges on keeping the patients in the dark, what does that mean to the ethical guidelines for informing patients about their treatments?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I find research about the placebo effect fascinating, so I need to read this (if I did read it back in 2017, I've forgotten... :P

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18590 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post