well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I printed a Turntable

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I printed a Turntable
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
I participated in a crowd-funded 3D printed turntable. For a small fee, I was sent all of the parts needed except for the 3D printed parts which comprise most of the unit. Obviously the cartridge, motor, belt, the Lexan platter and all the bolts, nuts and screws along with an aluminum frame stiffener were included in the kit. I had to print the rest.

It was a fun project and the results are pretty amazing.

A short video of it playing an album.

Posts: 13638 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cool

You have the best hobbies.

aside: A sentence I never anticipated hearing: "I printed a turntable". Leaving

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38024 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That is so cool. Congratulations on your new turntable!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9814 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That’s great!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35010 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mark, wow! How cool!!!

WTG,
quote:
aside: A sentence I never anticipated hearing: "I printed a turntable".

I was thinking the same thing!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18616 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That is so cool!!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20485 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Did you print it and then wire it?
Was it a kit?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Are the signal connections phono curve or line out?

I’ve noticed some turntables now have standard line out connections in addition to — or maybe instead of — phono curve. And USB.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I have so much fun doing things like this and when they work out well, like this one did, it makes it really fun.

Yes I did print it. I started out with a black and purple color scheme but after a couple of failed prints of the largest part of the chassis, I switched to Brown/Terra Cotta. You can see the original color scheme in the tonearm base on the video. Those parts printed successfully so I used them.

I did wire it. It came with all the required wires, and connectors that use screw terminals so no soldering was necessary. I am planning on going back through and doing some EM/RFI shielding. I am not experiencing anything out of the ordinary but source signals need to be as "clean" as possible to get the most out of the system. I am going to start by just using regular aluminum foil (Thick stuff not the generic stuff.) to line the inside of the base of the tonearm where all of the wires from the cartridge meet and go out to the RCA connectors. Most analog systems always have some low level noise/hum. There are many ways to reduce and even eliminate it. There are always challenges. Right now I have the gain on my phono pre-amp set to the lowest setting and I am getting zero noise. But, to get the same output level, I have to turn the volume up more than I do with my other turntable. I will be playing around with it.

It is a straight connection from the cartridge to the RCA connectors which produces phono output. You need to have a Phono Input on your receiver/pre-amp or a dedicated phono pre-amp like a Schiit Mani or similar.

Nothing fancy here. Not even a cue lever. You have to manually cue the record and lift the tonearm off the record when it is finished playing.

Posts: 13638 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post