well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Device and software interconnections

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Device and software interconnections
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Peloton Axes Free 'Just Run' Feature From Treadmill, Bricking It for Non-Subscribers

To unlock the feature, Tread+ owners need to pay for a monthly company subscription. The move is related to the Peloton recall, and the company says it's working on a fix.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/pel...-for-non-subscribers

This kind of thing is going to be happening more often as more and more devices gain software and are connected to the internet....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This kind of thing is going to be happening more often as more and more devices gain software and are connected to the internet....

This is why I'm so hesitant to purchase a printer with an ink subscription and the associated reliance on being connected to the internet.

This (the Peloton problem and the ink subscriptions) is also why I'm so against subscriptions in general.

It's like everything has "subscription creep" now. Curse

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18581 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.S. I'm glad my treadmill doesn't require that connectivity!

Ugh.

Posts: 18581 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Well, unless your printer is directly cabled to your computer and is instead using a wireless connection, it's on the internet already.

I'm not on board with a lot of the smart device stuff. Disclaimer: we have a smart thermostat that I can control remotely, and I love that. But I don't have Alexa, Siri, "hey, Google," or any of those types of things. My new washer/dryer has an internet connection but as far as I can tell all it does is tell you when a cycle is completed. In the vastness that is Chez Nina, I have no problem hearing its little beep signal to know that it's finished, though I will concede that if you have your units in the basement, or a garage or outside utility room it would be handy. Other than that, I just don't get the need to have everything all wired up.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I never connected the washer. Just don't see a reason to.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not on board with a lot of the smart device stuff. Disclaimer: we have a smart thermostat that I can control remotely, and I love that. But I don't have Alexa, Siri, "hey, Google," or any of those types of things.

+1

We have a thermostat that could be smart, but we haven't enabled it... If we ever get to travel again, I might.

But I want nothing to do with Alexa or Hey Google, and I don't have Siri enabled (she doesn't do well with bilingual input, and I don't do well with monolingual output).

I don't want a refrigerator that monitors what's in it. I don't need my washing machine hooked up to the internet, or to my phone....

Now, get off my lawn!
WhoMe

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Now, get off my lawn!
WhoMe
Hmm ... you might be interested in a smart camera doorbell that can notify you whenever it detects that there is someone on your lawn.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:

Now, get off my lawn!
WhoMe
Hmm ... you might be interested in a smart camera doorbell that can notify you whenever it detects that there is someone on your lawn.

Big Grin

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
you might be interested in a smart camera doorbell that can notify you whenever it detects that there is someone on your lawn.

Big Grin

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Now, get off my lawn!
WhoMe

Big Grin

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Now, get off my lawn!
WhoMe

I am SO stealing this...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Going back to the Peloton issue, the real problem is when things are designed so they will not work without an active internet connection. That makes bricking something that doesn't have an active subscription easier.

It's definitely something I'm more aware of when I make purchases than I used to be.

Posts: 45758 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post