Notify
Tools

Rugs
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Lots of rugs.

We’re outfitting the AirBnb and we’re on rugs.

The upper floor is currently floored in up to the minute white/gray engineered hardwood. Sharon loves it - it’s what’s happening now!

But it’s cold, hard and a PITA to maintain. The solution? Rugs! Rugs everywhere! Kind of like w/w carpet but no one does carpet these days. Rugs to cover up the cold, hard wood flooring, which is what we’re supposed to celebrate. It wasn’t cheap, I’ll give you that.

My position is that if you’re going to embrace such an unfriendly material you should own it. No rugs. Keep things sterile. Industrial. Popular.

I’m losing this battle. Hard floor advocates - care to politic for your hard floor position?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
People have been laying area rugs over hardwood floors forever, especially “oriental” types, haven’t they?

And you can always roll them up and store them in the summer if you want to.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Hard floors-- wood, laminate, tile, can be cleaned easily and completely. Carpet is another story. Rugs? Expectable enough but not necessary. They have to be moved and vacuumed or professionally cleaned. I don't mess with them in my warm climate. I have enough cleaning chores.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
A lot of people swear by Ruggables so they can be thrown in the washing machine. I’m currently trying to figure out what to do in our living room. I think it needs a rug but can’t figure out what I want.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4097 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have rugs in three of four hardwood floor rooms. The one in the dining room served as the palate for the rest of the house. Love the look of them.

Furnishing a rental today, pretty nice rugs are very inexpensive and add warmth to the room without the uniformity of carpet.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
When my father was in his last years, my mother had all of the carpet removed. That exposed the hardwood floors of my youth.
My father was breathing better in a very short time.
I kept the carpet in the bedrooms of my place. Got laminate for the living area and two spare packages of it because of the dogs. Have not needed the spares. Added a Karastan "Orientals". Added one polyester "Oriental" runner in a high wear area.
Can take the rugs and have them thorougly cleaned, but I have not yet done that.

When called an Oriental a friend of mixed Asian blood says she is not a rug.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

What a beautiful room! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Must agree with Steve regarding that room.
Also, Steve and I will be there for Thanksgiving
dinner.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
What a beautiful room! ThumbsUp

+1. Soooo inviting.

quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Must agree with Steve regarding that room.
Also, Steve and I will be there for Thanksgiving
dinner.

Make it one more. No need to worry about not having enough seating. I'll bring my own chair.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Back to the rugs...love the look of no rugs, don't like the reality of living with plain wood. Or more accurately, bare floors.

Not sure what we'll do we when the wall-to-wall comes out at some point in the not too distant future. Have considered having the oak that's under the carpet refinished and then using some commercial carpet squares as area rugs.

We found these in the seconds bin at Menards for three bucks each (they're 2' x 2'). We use them as a runner in front of the kitchen sink. I pulled them away from the counter and moved one aside so you can see what they look like:

They're wearing like iron, and there's no pattern matching to be done. These cheapos we got at Menards do have some pattern flaws in them, but in our case we don't care because we can hide that part under the toekick. You just put them down and they all just sort of fit together. They have a thick rubber backing, so they're a little softer underfoot and they don't move around. We got seven of them (we need four to make our runner), figuring that we could just swap one out of we had a disastrous kitchen spill, though I suspect they are quite easy to clean.

After seeing how well they work in the kitchen, I'm seriously tempted to look at a real carpet showroom and see what kinds of patterns are out there that might work in the living room/dining room. You can get really creative and create bordered rugs, etc.

The ones we have are from Shaw's commercial line.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post