well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Irony Abounds
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irony Abounds
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When I click on the NYMag link it says "This story is free for a limited time.".

I'm using Brave as my browser.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38004 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/HLyGaWpcrtA?si=3X6YrCSvIUo2Yn8W

Well, here are the 'facts' according to the Prime Minister.

His statement on American protests made about as much sense as everthing else he's said every time he's opened his mouth.

He's a war criminal. He belongs in a prison cell.

No, I've never been reactionary in my politics against legitimate protest movements.

These protests are global. They're not only happening on American college campuses.

I guess this is what happens these days when you commit the most documented genocide in modern history.

Posts: 24821 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Speaking of education, Israel has destroyed all of Gaza's major universities and killed many of its educators and students.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ic2...?si=-kJwwBn7UpzeYo6D

As someone who is concerned about education, I will point out that this transparently egregious.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Thought provoking tweet from Sarah Isgur:

“ Do you really believe you're on the right side of history if you're afraid to be recognized? Civil rights protestors didn't cover their faces. Vietnam draft protestors didn't. Apartheid protestors didn't.

KKK protestors did.”

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33805 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Indeed.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35000 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The civilians being assassinated and massacred in Gaza are not, as the SOS said recently, "caught in the crossfire between Hamas and Israel."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie

It's confounding that any sensible person would not understand or would deny this fact.

But I'm pretty sure nobody ever went down on the right side of history for committing crimes against humanity.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Thought provoking tweet from Sarah Isgur:

“ Do you really believe you're on the right side of history if you're afraid to be recognized? Civil rights protestors didn't cover their faces. Vietnam draft protestors didn't. Apartheid protestors didn't.

KKK protestors did.”

Outside the USA, one can cite the Hong Kong protesters who did covered their faces, and we in the USA generally consider them “good guys” protesting for freedom and democracy.

Most likely Sarah Ingur means well, but complaining only about face covering is also a bit of a cop out, a red herring, like, what, is she’s going to side with the protesters if they’d just show their faces?

That said, I would rather protesters here do so openly rather than anonymously, and I would rather our society and judicial system continue to respect the people’s rights to peacefully protest.

Still, today we operate in a world there there are cameras everywhere with facial recognition systems behind them and a doxing culture all made easy by the Internet. The tactics of protesting have to evolve along with technology and attendant social trends.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12701 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I was struck by this quotation in the Wiki article Daniel cited:

quote:
But it remained for the Jews, with their unqualified capacity for falsehood, and their fighting comrades, the Marxists, to impute responsibility for the downfall precisely to the man who alone had shown a superhuman will and energy in his effort to prevent the catastrophe which he had foreseen and to save the nation from that hour of complete overthrow and shame.

Difficlt times create strange bedfellows.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7427 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I was struck by this quotation in the Wiki article Daniel cited:

quote:
But it remained for the Jews, with their unqualified capacity for falsehood, and their fighting comrades, the Marxists, to impute responsibility for the downfall precisely to the man who alone had shown a superhuman will and energy in his effort to prevent the catastrophe which he had foreseen and to save the nation from that hour of complete overthrow and shame.

Difficlt times create strange bedfellows.

Big Al

I don't know the context of your quote. I didn't read any of the subsections.

"But it remained for the Jews, with their unqualified capacity for falsehood, and their fighting comrades, the Marxists,..."

What?

I just looked and it didn't catch my eye.

I did notice Trump's claims of a stolen election were given as an example of a big lie. I don't see his complaining and babbling about that rising to the level of a big lie.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Browsers give the user the capability of searching for particular words.

Posts: 45772 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I maintain the SOS's words were a big lie. Civilians aren't "being killed in the crossfire."

I knew this already but I came across a disturbing video the other day of a Doctor who had volunteered in Gaza.

I decided not to post it but I'm sure I could find similar testimonies without too much trouble.

He said two things--

1. He said children are being targeted by snipers. He said their wounds included shots to the head, stomach, elbows, and knees. He said with the advanced weaponory being used and with the skill of the soldiers, they don't miss their targets.

2. He said the situation is complicated by the use of experimental weaponory. He said it's a well known fact on the ground that weapons are being tested in Gaza to prove their marketability. This wasn't news to me either.

It's a grim situation and would be even without the forced starvation, etc.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I would need much greater support than the supposition of a single doctor before I believed that children were being targeted by snipers. It sounds so barbaric that I find it unlikely.

Posts: 45772 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I've already made over fifty posts with citations when necessary.

Anyone with an internet connection can find the facts concerning what is happening in Gaza.