well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Food Memories
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food Memories
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Mr. Nina and I were talking last night about how some things from our childhood are forever better than the upgrades. Case in point: (some flavors of) Campbell's soup. Yes, I've had better minestrone, chicken noodle soup, split pea soup made by me or others, but there's something old, familiar and comforting about the Campbell's soup ones. It's probably the salt load. Big Grin

Same with canned green beans. They are not as good as fresh, but they are a definite childhood memory.

That’s me with canned peas. I shouldn’t love them but I do. At least I love the memory of them - I am sure I haven’t had them in a decade or more.

This thread made me crave Butter Soup. It’s a German Mennonite recipe handed down from my Oma. It was made when they were too poor to make anything else. Basically, you boil potatoes and onions in water with a bay leaf until cooked. Add a knob of butter if you have it (they rarely did, but I wouldn’t make it without it). Add spaetzle. At the end, pour in a bit of cream. Lots of salt and pepper. I haven’t had it in years, but I am going to have to make it before the weather gets too warm.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Dol, do you slice the potatoes? Cube them? Mash them?

This sounds like real comfort food.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Dol, do you slice the potatoes? Cube them? Mash them?

This sounds like real comfort food.

Quarter small ones. We always had them in biggish chunks. Think stew as opposed to a delicate soup. Also, we always used russets, because those were the cheapest ones and the ones that were most available. But I think they added something as they break down more than white, reds, or Yukon goldS, so they thicken the soup a bit.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post