well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Persuasion Doesn't Work

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Persuasion Doesn't Work
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
This synethesizes and says out loud what I think we've all experienced.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...nion&pgtype=Homepage

Posts: 45763 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ezra speaks sooth.

quote:
This is one problem with trusting our rationality: The choice we make now, before we catch the virus, may not be the choice we will wish we had made once we get sick. Then there’s the stubborn fact that individual decisions have collective consequences. It may indeed be the case that a healthy 19-year-old American has little to fear from the coronavirus. But his immunosuppressed grandfather has much to fear from him. Whether it is a more severe imposition on liberty to ask someone to get vaccinated or regularly tested than to ask all immunosuppressed people in the country to effectively shelter in place for the rest of their lives is a collective question that demands a collective answer.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37976 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lake of the Ozarks mentality.

https://www.politico.com/news/...-unvaccinated-500784

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37976 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13566 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Boating on the Lake of the Ozarks is known for huge power boats making waves that destroy the docks they go by.
100 years ago, when I was a student, Osage Beach was known as a wild and crazy party place.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25726 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
cheese..... ROTFLMAO

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
There is no cure for stupidity.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25726 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Anaheim, Disneyland worker Judy Hart, 62, says she’ll never get the COVID-19 vaccine because it’s “experimental.”

What about masks? Hart wears one while working retail sales at the most magical place on earth, but nowhere else. “It’s against our freedoms,” she explains. “And I’m not some religious weirdo who thinks it’s the mark of the beast.”

After more than 18 months of a pandemic, with 1 of every 545 Americans already killed by COVID-19, a substantial chunk of the population continues to assert their own individual liberties over the common good.

This great divide — spilling into workplaces, schools, supermarkets and voting booths — has split the nation at a historic juncture when partisan factionalism and social media already are achieving similar ends.

It is a phenomenon that perplexes sociologists, legal scholars, public health experts and philosophers, causing them to wonder:

At what point should individual rights yield to the public interest? If coronavirus kills 1 in 100, will that be enough to change some minds? Or 1 in 10?

https://www.usatoday.com/story...mon-good/5432614001/

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
“It’s against our freedoms,”

This is one of the BS explanations that I am just so tired of....

That and "wearing masks causes CO2 poisoning."

I didn't think anyone actually believed that until I got into an argument on the phone, with someone who's an engineer FFS, who actually believes this.

I am just so tired.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18586 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post