well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Greetings from the North Sea
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greetings from the North Sea
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
We’re on a cruise that left Rotterdam this morning. We’ve already spent two days in Amsterdam and one in Rotterdam. Beautiful cities, both - so many bicycles! Heading for Norway.

I know cruises aren’t popular with this bunch but we love them. This Holland America ship is the nicest one we’ve been on. Food is a cut above, the cabin is very comfortable and service has been outstanding.

Travelling with three other couples. Two are longtime friends from CA and the third are my Tucson friend and his wife. Ron and I have been friends for almost 60 years!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34999 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Pictures as you go!

I seem to recall Jon on a cruise in Norway recently, and my spouse and I sailed among the little islands between Scotland and Iceland last June.

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow! Definitely share photos if you can.

And have a wonderful time!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18609 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I have photos to share but I can’t figure out how post them via Flickr from my phone. I’ll have to wait until I get home. I have to say the tulip gardens in Amsterdam were spectacular!

Or do Postimgs or some other site work directly from IPhone?

Posts: 34999 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I just uploaded a photo from my iPad to https://postimages.org/ by accessing postimages through my browser as I usually do on my PC.

When I clicked on Choose Images on the Upload page, it gave me three choices: Photo Library, Take Photo, Choose Files. I had a few photos on the iPad so I selected Photo Library. It took me to Photos and I was able to select a pic, clicked Add (upper right corner) and it uploaded the pic. You can select multiple pics before clicking on Add.

I imagine the iPhone will work pretty much the same way.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38000 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Oh, and sounds like a great trip. Have fun. Looking forward to one of the classic Steve Miller travelogues, either while you're on the trip or after you get back...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38000 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Wow! Enjoy. I'm with you on cruises. Love them.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13577 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
What an adventure!

Looking forward to your pictures.

Posts: 24815 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We had a great time on the Eurodam from Seattle to Alaska last September. Have a great time (I know you are already)!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9808 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Have an amazing time! I look forward to seeing your pics.

I am not a fan of cruises for really only one reason--I'm a germaphobe. When we were staying on Grand Turk there was a cruise ship docked there that had an outbreak of norovirus, and like hell I was going to come in contact with anyone who had been on that ship. That included canceling my massage appointment because the massage therapist had been treating people on that cruise.

Otherwise, I'm sure they are wonderful. I really enjoy ferries. I took the overnight ferry from Juneau to Admiralty Island where everyone slept on the deck and partied. It was great fun.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21364 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I like cruises!

There are the admitted drawbacks of being among so many people, but I love to see a lot of places without the effort of trying to get around in an unfamiliar place while carrying my luggage.

And I just love sitting with a book and look at the ocean (or sea or river or whatever). It really feels like a vacation.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or do Postimgs or some other site work directly from IPhone?

Yep, I use Postimages.org from my phone all the time.

quote:
I really enjoy ferries.

Me too! Like MA, I love being able to sit on the deck with a book, looking out at the water.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18609 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of boats. I have an irrational fear of drowning. But I’ve been watching a YouTuber called Emma Cruises, and the food and the activities and the ports visited actually look like fun. Hope you have a great time, and I’m looking forward to the photographs.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20482 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Our first (and only, so far) cruise was definitely worth repeating. Best of many worlds. Total passenger count was about 110, so you don't often get the raging petri dish problem of a boat with 3,000 (including 800 germ-ridden kids who stick their hands in everything). As an "expedition" ship, the sites visited were often out of the way and hard to get to, and the company made the voyage both luxurious and adventurous.

We would do that kind of cruise again in a flash.

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What I remember most about our trip to Italy was the entire country needed a coat of paint. It might still, I don’t know. Not a problem in Norway - everything is very tidy and the houses/buildings all look like they were painted just last week. Immaculate!

This is our second day here. Yesterday we were in Stavenger which is a small-ish oil town with Viking history going back to some 500AD. We toured a reproduction of a Viking long house and I learned some clever things they did to deal with the climate and some 30 people living in a house along with livestock.

Best, though, was a virtual reality movie depecting the life of Viking king Harold the Fair. I have never tried a virtual reality headset before and it was amazing! I don’t know what people do with them besides video games but I want to try them again! Has anyone ever tried them?

Today is Oslo - much larger city. Initial indications are that it’s every bit as well kept as Stavenger.