well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Greetings from the North Sea
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greetings from the North Sea
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of boats either.

I remember a trip to Provincetown my parents and I took with another couple.

They didn't have kids. I don't remember the wife. My mother told me she and my father used to have dinner with a gay couple.

I asked her if my father knew they were gay. She said yes. My father was/is homophobic and a complete realist at the same time. He grew up in the '50's and felt he had to be the epitome of normal is the only explanation I can find.

I latter pieced together these were their gay friends. But I digress.

They rented a boat and we sailed a short distance from the tip of Cape Cod in a straight line meeting up with the land opposite.

I was 6. I panicked. I thought we were going to drown.

I thought the boat nearly capsized. In retrospect I realize this didn't happen.

But that was it. We got out of the boat on the other side and I've never wanted to be on a boat again.

Posts: 24815 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today we visited the Viegand Sculpture Park.

Magnificent!

Vegans Sculpture Park

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34999 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Virtual reality stuff is so cool. Ive tried them several times, there are some that make me nauseous, but some don’t (there is a reason for that, but i can’t remember what it is)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20482 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today we take a hour train ride to Berlin and have some time to look around. I would like to buy a little piece of the wall.

Very much looking forward to this!

Posts: 34999 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Berlin? How exciting!

Posts: 24815 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
As expected, the train was electric, very smooth and nearly silent. Once we left the city where we docked the view was all farms and forests. The fields are planted in Canola right now (a nice Canadian lady identified it for me) and it’s blooming a bright yellow. Beautiful!

Berlin is a very nice city even though a lot of it was built after 1945. The buildings are mostly stone, very substantial, solid, permanent. Lots of trees, many parks, very clean.

The history of the city after WW2 was all new to me and I’ll have to read more about it. The parts we saw looked very prosperous.

And I bought a little piece of the wall! ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The good news is that with the city tours and such I’m up to like 11K steps/day ThumbsUp

The bad news is that with dining rooms, buffets, snack bars and bars open pretty much continuously it’s not likely I’ll get away without a weight gain. Frowner

There are lots of fresh fruit and veg options but everything is so good it’s hard to behave myself. Blink

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I'm not a fan of boats either.

But that was it. We got out of the boat on the other side and I've never wanted to be on a boat again.

To each his own. I've never felt fear on a boat on the lake or ocean. Any day on a boat is better than any day on shore.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13577 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The restaurant on the ship makes their pot roast out of brisket. Oh my.

I’ll never use chuck again.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Any pics of Berlin to share? I hear it is an amazing city.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21364 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post