well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wild concert act …

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild concert act …
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
After watching this, I want to ask RealPlayer if he is aware of any classical concert act, back in the days of wild experiments, that ever got as wild as this.

Viewer discretion advised, skip ahead to the 3:30 mark or thereabouts: https://youtu.be/M_i-A-5jJ8s

Article: https://www.spin.com/2021/11/b...elcome-to-rockville/

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If Mapplethorpe was a musician.

The audio on that was way overmodulated and painful to listen to.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure that guy didn’t get paid enough.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I’m pretty sure that guy didn’t get paid enough.

Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I fast-forwarded to the key part.... was the guy a volunteer from the audience? It looked like he had a VIP pass.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Or did the guy pay for that?
Sorry that I had that thought, but the Steele Dossier.....

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The closest I’ve seen in a “classical” concert was a performance of John Cage’s “Song Books” in Buffalo circa 1976 by S.E.M. Ensemble. The “songs” are quite varied. Some are written music, some are texts, some are merely instructions.

One of the performers, Julius Eastman, chose one of the songs whose instructions say simply to give a lecture. (I don’t recall the exact wording.). He elected to bring a man and woman onstage naked while he lectured on sexual matters using them to illustrate his points. I think the woman didn’t completely undress.

I was actually at this performance but don’t recall many details. There were several songs being done simultaneously.

Cage was at the performance and was furious at Julius’ interpretation. The next day Cage gave a talk in a classroom, and it was the only time I’ve seen him angry, shouting and banging his fist on the piano lid. (This session is recorded and available on the internet somewhere.). Cage was normally very mild-mannered.

His main point was that although he gives performers a lot of freedom, it is not to do anything they feel like.

Eastman, who died around 1990, was a composer in his own right, and his music is undergoing a vast revival internationally. I’ve played his music and have directed some performances.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
...instructions say simply to give a lecture.... His main point was that although he gives performers a lot of freedom, it is not to do anything they feel like.
Ruh???

Do a thing. But only do a thing that I approve of, but I'm not going to tell you what it is or isn't.

Sounds like dealing with a certain gummint agency I dealt with on and off for the last 30 years.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com