well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Insurance shopping

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance shopping
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Our homeowners premium popped up a bit this year so we started taking a closer look at our overall coverage. We haven't bothered to shop around, well, like ever......we've been with State Farm for (mumble, mumble) years. Our premiums aren't that high (at least I don't think they are) but we figure it's a good time to look at our coverage levels overall, so tell me.....

About your experiences with auto/home/umbrella policies.

Companies you dealt with that you had actual claims with.

Gotchas you discovered when you made a claim that you wished you knew about when you signed up for your policy.

Calculation of replacement cost. They're waving around their black box estimator and I'm suspect.

Liability coverage levels. We haven't revised ours for a while so I'm not sure if we need to bump them up a bit.

Edit:

Did you use an agent or did you get quotes online?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We’ve always used AMICA. I’ve had multiple claims with them, both auto and home and have been supremely happy with how things were handled each time. (The last home claim was big, hail damage requiring a new roof and all new windows on the front of the house because the windows were discontinued and only one was damaged.)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20461 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
We shopped around and switched again this year - we had liberty mutual and recently switched to grange. It definitely pays to switch every couple years. I swear insurance companies rely on that loyalty and jack the prices up on their current customers. We have never had a homeowners claim ever, and they still jack our rates every year.

I almost went with Openly this year -- again, they only quote through indpendent agents and they are a pretty new company that relies on big data to decide what kind of risk you are. Because of that, we got a stupidly cheap rate from them (probably because we've never filed a claim ever!) but we were worried since I couldn't find any online reviews of anyone who has ever filed a claim since they are new. I am hoping to switch to them this spring when our policy is up - hopefully by then, they will have more of a track record. They are partnered with/reinsured by longstanding insurance companies with good ratings so it's not like they are 3 guys in their garage selling insurance but I still like to see reviews from actual customers about how the claims handling went.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We've had State Farm but recently (as in the last year) they offered car insurance that's prorated based on your miles driven. We signed up for that (you do have a beacon thing in your car) and it has saved us a TON. I'm honestly not sure about homeowners, etc., because that's just rolled into our mortgage.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Based on many years of working in a law firm with insurance defense lawyers I can pass on that State Farm has a reputation of looking for ways to deny coverage to its insureds rather than pay claims.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Any companies that have a good reputation in that regard?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Based on many years of working in a law firm with insurance defense lawyers I can pass on that State Farm has a reputation of looking for ways to deny coverage to its insureds rather than pay claims

Are there any companies about which this could not be said?

This is an honest question btw, not trying to be snarky.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
For me, Insurance is something you want to buy from a real live person, not a website. If you ever have a claim you may well need your agent on your side. Been there more than once.

My advice would be to talk to a couple of local independent agents - agents who represent several different companies. Find one you can work with and review what he has on offer.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Based on many years of working in a law firm with insurance defense lawyers I can pass on that State Farm has a reputation of looking for ways to deny coverage to its insureds rather than pay claims

Over the years I've had a couple of trucks stolen, two broken in to, stolen tools and at least one accident in a crew truck. Over a span of years I've had Safeco, Liberty Mutual and National General (apparently affiliated with Farmers.)

The Safeco claim involved getting my agent involved but they stepped up pretty quickly after that. Liberty Mutual was responsive right out of the gate. Nat. General took forever when the white truck got stolen (got my agent involved there too - excuse was "Covid") but eventually they paid in full. I went with Nat Gen again this year (couldn't beat the price and they did eventually make things right last time) and with this most recent claim they've been excellent.

The problem is that these companies are always changing and it's hard to say what a company might do with any given case. I will say that in all three cases none of them ever tried to deny my claim - just took weeks to process it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

This is an honest question btw, not trying to be snarky.

I have not had any trouble with AMICA. we’ve had several car claims and several homeowners claims (water damage from a leaking faucet when we were gone for a year and hail damage on a house that had sold but not closed and the recent refrigerator leak that trashed our flooring. They paid quickly and did not give me any hassle. Luckily I found replacement flooring, but they would have paid to replace all of it with new (living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway) if I had not been able to find boxes of the discontinued floor.
I am not interested in finding the cheapest insurance. I want insurance that works for me when I really need it. (And we have needed it!)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20461 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post