well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Would we be crazy to try to install a kitchen backsplash?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would we be crazy to try to install a kitchen backsplash?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
MS owns a house. As you might expect, the kitchen is not snazzy. Home Depot maple-ish cabinets, white floor, some kind of light countertop, white appliances.

She thinks a cheerful backsplash might liven the room up, but of course she doesn't have a ton of money.

I'm thinking of having Mr. Sphinx come with me to take on this project. I have done some basic research, and it sounds like the easiest backsplash to do is your basic subway tile. Maybe in colored glass, maybe ceramic.

What do you think? Are we out of our minds even to try this?

Does anyone have good color sense about what color goes with basic cabinets like these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kr...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s not a real difficult project. There are dozens of You Tube videos that show how to do it.

Subway tile has had a good run but is classic enough that installing it now wouldn’t be a problem. I have it in my new kitchen and it’s not going anywhere for a good long while.

Subway tile comes in 100 colors, and if you don’t like any of them white generally works. I like a little “liner” course about 3/4 of the way up - maybe a glass tile. Easy enough to do and a nice custom look.

I’d say give it a shot! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
KraftMaid cabinets are actually very nice. And durable. Our 30 year old KM cabs look almost like new. And their customer service is amazing. We just had hinges on a corner cabinet break and they're sending us free replacements.

But back to the backsplash...installing a basic tile isn't very hard to do. You can rent a tile cutter and buy the trowel, mastic, and grout for not a lot of bucks. Oh, and don't forget the caulk for where the tile and counter meet.

Or if you get desperate, there are the self-stick variety. Some of them actually look pretty good.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/se...lash%2520tile?NCNI-5

Picking out the tile style and color, on the other hand, is a whole nother story...

I tend to stay away from what's trendy because it will look dated in no time and we keep things forever.

We have 4" square matte white tiles with a taupe (what used to be called) sizzle strip that picks up the color of the Sandstone countertop. I like the reflective nature of a light color tile to help illuminate the counter.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have done it and it is fairly easy. The hardest bit is cutting around outlets etc. If you lay it out out ahead of time you might be able to rearrange a bit to make fewer cuts.

Also look into tile that comes on sheets. They go up a square foot at time. Faster and less fuss about each individual tile.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I did it. I actually did it on a board, then mounted the board with screws to the wall behind the stove and trimmed around it with the wood the cabinets were made out of. (That way I could do my glass tile design flat and grout it flat. (I used tiny glass tiles, not heavy ceramic tiles though).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. Maybe we will select and order the tile over Christmas and do the project next time we visit.

I think she needs a color, though. That is one blah kitchen. Maybe sage?

I’ll keep you posted!!

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I've done it too, a couple times. Tiling is not difficult unless you use larger format tiles..then you have to get them flat.

The key is planning where you start and where your cuts go to minimize small pieces.

We do not have a window over our kitchen sink, so I put an art tile up to have some visual interest. You may notice I started at the bottom with whole tiles so my smaller pieces were at the top and not so apparent.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mik that looks great!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Nice! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Sadly, we are about to redo the kitchen again. Not sure if that will survive.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post