well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Graduating High School Seniors and College

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graduating High School Seniors and College
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
quote:
Early national surveys of high school seniors are showing those who initially were bound for four-year colleges changing their first-choice schools for something less expensive. Some of those surveyed say they are thinking of giving up on going to college in the fall entirely.

https://www.politico.com/news/...ollege-dreams-179509

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
The immediate concern for low-income students headed to college this fall could be coming up with the cash for enrollment deposits. But more pressing is assistance with the FAFSA as students’ parents lose jobs and the family economic situation shifts.

“The biggest concern ... is that you might have students who weren't previously low income, who now are,” Warick said. “Not only are they facing that loss of income, but if they've already done their FAFSA, they now need to contact the financial aid office to let them know there's been a change and ask for an updated financial aid package.”

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Colleges and universities have become very, very expensive. This includes first, second, and third rate private schools. This includes commercial schools without accreditation. And, sadly, it includes public schools.

This is happening against a backdrop of increasing bifurcation of the economy, a student debt crisis, and a pandemic.

I can't say what I would do if I were graduating high school today. I was fortunate that my family was able to pay out of pocket for my education at public schools. We also had our choice of part time and summer jobs that adults are doing today for less pay.

All I can say is I'm grateful for the opportunities public education and my family provided me and I'm glad I don't have to face these decisions today.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am thinking that low income kids will defer so they can go back to work when this breaks out..just to help keep their families afloat.

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post