well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    About that Alaska Airlines incident

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About that Alaska Airlines incident
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Alaska Airlines placed restrictions on the Boeing plane involved in a dramatic mid-air blowout after pressurisation warnings in the days before Friday's incident, investigators say.

The jet had been prevented from making long-haul flights over water, said Jennifer Homendy of the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

quote:
The force of the blowout caused the door of the cockpit to open and a laminated checklist and the first officer's headset both flew out into the cabin, she said.

quote:
Ms Homendy later announced that the part of the fuselage that detached had been found, after a teacher named Bob located the missing section in his backyard.

"I'm excited to announce that we've found the door plug," she told reporters. "Thank you, Bob."

The plug is a piece of fuselage weighing 27kg (60lb), with a window, that can be used as an emergency exit in certain configurations. Authorities had been searching for it in Portland, the departure city.

Ms Homedy said it was the "key missing component" to work out why the blowout happened.
Two mobile phones believed to have fallen from the aircraft are also reported to have been found.

An Oregon man shared an image of an iPhone which he said he had discovered, working as normal, in a grass verge beside a road. The device appeared to display an email receipt for a $70 (£55) checked baggage charge for the flight.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67909417

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37975 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Boeing, boeing, boing, boing, but aeroplanes
don't bounce.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25726 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
What a nightmare.

Posts: 24753 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Where is PJ? I was going to ask him about this, because I'm remembering one time he talked about how you wouldn't be able to open an emergency exit door in flight because of the pressurization -- I'm not remembering the details but I was curious about this incident in light of that...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18586 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
They're offering the passengers $1500. That's insulting.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
They offered the victims of the Lahaina fire $700. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24753 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
They're offering the passengers $1500. That's insulting.

Agreed!

I read an article about the mother and son who were closest to the hole, about how dangerous it was for him in particular, and how the official depiction of the incident downplays that … I’ll see if I can find it, but the point is, when you read that, it makes the $1500 even worse.

Posts: 18586 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Here it is, this was actually shared by another WFTer

https://www.seattletimes.com/b...XRb4a2ag6EOXwkSRNsNU

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I’m here. I don’t know much that isn’t already publicly available. And what I do know beyond that, I’m not at liberty to discuss. Even others at NFFMCo won’t tell me what they know.

The plug should not be able to open when the airplane is pressurized, just like the exit door that the plug replaces.

I’m waiting for facts and official findings.

In other news, my MIL is supposed to fly from Boise to Seattle on Saturday. Her booking says she’s on a 737-900.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I’m here. I don’t know much that isn’t already publicly available. And what I do know beyond that, I’m not at liberty to discuss. Even others at NFFMCo won’t tell me what they know.

The plug should not be able to open when the airplane is pressurized, just like the exit door that the plug replaces.

I’m waiting for facts and official findings.

In other news, my MIL is supposed to fly from Boise to Seattle on Saturday. Her booking says she’s on a 737-900.

My friend is on a 737-900 today to Dallas. It’s not the same; I had to look it up!

I’m scheduled on a 737 Max 9 later this month…I’m hoping all inspections/fixes will be done by then. Could be the safest planes in the air after all that?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post