well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Masterclass

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masterclass
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Sharon got me a subscription to Masterclass for Christmas. They are a series of online classes on different subjects, given by people who are well known in their respective industries. The classes used to cost $90 each but as of may the cost is 2 unlimited subscriptions for $180/year.

There are classes on dozens of subjects, but they seem to be weighted toward cooking, writing, entertainment (acting, comedy, singing) and sales. Greg likes the ones on negotiation and poker. There are supposed to be more coming very soon.

I'm tearing through them at furious pace and I really like them. You can watch each class as many times as you want, and the instructors are all quite good so far. Alice Waters, for example, brings a passion to her class that you can't miss. Gordon Ramsey, too - he's a jerk on TV but really loves to cook and is a good teacher.

Only downside is that the user interface isn't very good. It's difficult to find what you want or even what all is available. Maybe they need to do a few Masterclasses on website design. Cool

Is anyone else using them?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hadn't heard of them, but some of the classes look interesting.

Sounds like you can just do the $15 a month as opposed to a full year subscription, right? I'm not sure there are enough that look interesting that would keep me engaged for more than a couple of months.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My SIL got a year as a Christmas gift and it was a BOGO, so she gave me one. I haven't tried it yet. They have some of my favorite chefs.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So far I like Alice Waters best.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The one that got my attention was Jake Shimabukuro teaching uke.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
The one that got my attention was Jake Shimabukuro teaching uke.

Now *that* sounds like fun!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I should look at this. I have taken a few photography classes from Creative Live. They were very well done. I haven't done the subscription yet... I was thinking to do that when I retire.

Creative Live was started by Chase Jarvis who is an outstanding photographer and lives in Seattle. The classes have branched out into self-improvement and business skills and probably a few other things.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post