well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Behind hip replacement surgery

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Behind hip replacement surgery
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
A history of the procedure and the materials used.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
That was very interesting.

I sat on a jury a few years ago in a malpractice suit over a hip joint replacement (we found for the defendant). I've been wary of joint replacements, but I may have one or more in my future so it's good to hear about progress in that area.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Find a surgeon who is experienced in the anterior procedure. The conventional procedure cuts six muscles to get to the joint; the anterior procedure cuts no muscles and involves moving things out of the way to get to the joint. Results in faster recovery, few restrictions, and almost eliminates the possibility of dislocation.

Mr wtg climbed and descended a full flight of stairs 18 hours after surgery, and was home a few hours later. Physical therapy three times a week at home, and he did his own exercises the rest of the time. He can't wait to have the other hip done, but the bladder cancer treatments take priority right now.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
A good friend just had the anterior procedure Wednesday and is doing great. She's sore, but up every hour, doing stairs and is in fact in less pain than she was before.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I have a bad hip that they say will need replacing. It has been stable for many years, and I can run and play tennis. But it doesn’t have much inward or outward rotation.

I’m worried I won’t be able to do impact exercise with a mechanical hip.

So I’ll keep waiting.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post