well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    ABC 20/20 episode about coronavirus (edit: plus This Week with George Stephanopoulos)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ABC 20/20 episode about coronavirus (edit: plus This Week with George Stephanopoulos)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I watched the ABC 20/20 episode last night about the coronavirus. Some very interesting stuff, especially about how bats carry all kinds of viruses that don't affect them, but that they may pass on to other animals and to humans.

They talked to a couple of ABC reporters who were on the ground in China and elsewhere during the middle of the outbreaks. They talked about their self-quarantine experience after they got back from affected areas.

Also interesting were interviews with local health authorities who talked about how the tests are done. They indicated that even after they get the test kits, it can take days, even up to a week, to get the equipment set up, calibrated and tested before they can actually do any tests.

The live interview with surgeon general Adams was disturbing. David Muir asked him several times what the plan is for dealing with the cruise ship situation. Adams answered a million different ways: "we're working on a plan" and "when we have a plan".

There. Is. No. Plan.

I can't believe it.

You might be able to watch it here, if you have the right provider:

https://abc.com/shows/2020/epi...hat-you-need-to-know

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Not surprised there is no plan.
Thank you for covering it.
Don't want to watch it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Secretary Carson (reminder - he's a doctor and on the Coronavirus Task Force) was on This Week with Stephanopoulous.

Stephanopoulous: What is the plan for the cruise ship docked off of San Francisco?

Carson: The vice-president and members of the team met with cruise ship management yesterday....blah, blah, blah.

Steph: That's not the question that I asked. What is the plan for the cruise ship docked off San Fran?

Carson: They're working on a plan. They'll have it within 72 hours of the meeting.

Steph: But the ship is docking tomorrow. As a representative of the task force and the president, can you tell us what the plan is?

Carson: We shouldn't have 16 people talking about the plan; it needs to come from the people who are working on it. Especially since the plan isn't complete.

There. Is. Still. No. Plan.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When asked about possible broader quarantine issues, or advice to people about attending large events like campaign rallies, Carson kept coming back to how an individual should evaluate his individual risk and how to manage it. He said absolutely nothing about managing risk to the broader population.

Fortunately, Tom Bossert (former DHS director) and Jen Ashton (a doctor) were up next and filled in the huge gaps left by Carson.

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We're doomed...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18568 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the segment on This Week. Auto-start video, but I think the sound mutes automatically. At least it does on my PC. Also has a summary article for those who are video types.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...en/story?id=69455917

Bazootiehead-in-training